replacing electric cooker

I want to replace our cooker with a separate hob in the current cooker position and place a double oven on the opposite side of the kitchen.

This will mean the current cooker switch will power the hob but the oven will not be near the radial cooker circuit.

Is it allowable to replace a double socket on the downstairs ring main with a cooker switch to power the oven in its new position?

The ovens will be less than 3kW in total.

Reply to
AJH

Yes, with a caveat.

All connections to a ring final standard socket circuit must be either 13A socket (single or double) or via a fused connection unit with a max 13A fuse. So you could use a cooker switch (or a 20A switch) **supplying a 13A socket or FCU at the oven end**

The 32/32A circuit protection protects against short circuit, the BS1362 fuse in the plug or the FCU protect against overload.

If you need to use a double plate on an existing box you could use a

with a
a neon indicator module (not sold by screwfix)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Can't you just plug the ovens into a normal 13A socket with a normal plug?

Reply to
Max Demian

I don't think so all the double ovens I see advertised say they need to be connected to a cooker switch.

In fact re reading the specifications they total out at over 4kW and not

3kW as I first said.
Reply to
AJH

Thanks, that looks cheap enough for parts, now about part P...

Reply to
AJH

Some have a mode (set by jumpers or separate connections) which allow them to work from a 13A plug (or 13A fused connection unit), although at reduced maximum power, obviously, which probably doesn't matter for an oven.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Any pointers would be handy as it is very unlikely both ovens would be in use together and handy just to plug it into a 13A socket.

Reply to
AJH

What I'd do is read the installation manuals of candidate ovens. The situation is complicated by the regulation that says that appliances have to be fitted with a 13A plug if they are suitable for plugging into a socket. But if the oven specs say that they use a maximum power of less than 3kW or a maximum current of less than 13A it would presumably be ok to use a 13A fused FCU unless specifically forbidden by the instructions.

Reply to
Roger Hayter