May be OT Threads

How does a thread disappear, and can they be recovered.

Reply to
F Murtz

It all depends on what News Server you use, and the technical term for this is "retention".

If you check reviews of different NewsServers you'll find some such as EasyNews* offer 4113 days retention of both text and binary, that's 11 years. Some also include a search facility.

Once you've found an old post and reply to it, your reply immediately becomes current and so can be seen by everyone, irrespective of the retention characteristics of their own NewServer.

michael adams

  • A quick google doesn't reveal retention figures for either News individual Net one of the most popular News Servers, or your own Highwinds
Reply to
michael adams

That depends very much on the server retention time and whether the server has anti spam policies or no crossposting policies or whether it was asked to be removed for copyright reasons. That never used to work when the backbone recreated them, but as servers dwindle and many post using web forum interfaces it has happened more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

It may be something I did, the thread was Re: UK.D-I-Y becoming unusable, and I replied to it but can not find it now

Reply to
F Murtz

I can still see it, 26/04/2020 08:12 posted by Gareth Evans. Using Agent reader via news.virginmedia.com

Reply to
Davidm

Irony in action - see also, "karma".

Reply to
Richard

If needs be you can find then in groups.google.com, e.g:

$20unusable%7Csort:date/uk.d-i-y/x0cmSLzF47U/QIColBKnAgAJ

Reply to
John Rumm