Extending a single gang box

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box. If possible, I'd like to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this to make it into a twin (rather than double) gang box. So what are the options ? I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress

which could do the job, are there any other options ?. The sockets would be used for data rather than power feeds.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

What is a a twin that isn't double?

Plenty of single socket sized double RJ45 sockets around

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about something like this:

Scott

A pattress that takes two separate single outlets side by side as opposed to a back box that takes a single double socket.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks.

That sort of thing would be ideal, but that converts to a double, not a twin.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Could you not then source a double socket that would meet your proposes?

Reply to
Scott

Double socket, I very much doubt. However, prompted by TNP's comment, I think I might be able to get away with a single gang module plate (e.g.

and put two modules into it, it would require a stand off to increase the depth, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

They're not modular but I've got 4 x Cat5 sockets on a *single* faceplate in the lounge. Probably from Ebay. It is a tight fit and you'd probably need a stand off / extender.

Means I can patch 16 pairs to the Display Cabinette from the PABX for phone lines:-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Also if you are only using 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, that only uses 2 pairs out of four, so you can use a single data outlet and cable and splitters each end.

Gigabit Ethernet, or Power over Ethernet, will need all 4 pairs per point.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Switches at either end of the proposed link will be Gigabit, but I'm not using PoE. I doubt that the data load on that bit of the network will be high (1 x Pi + webcam, 1 printer), so a single outlet into a 5 port switch (which I happen to have lying around) ought to be OK.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Modular units tend to be quite wasteful of space. You could likely make up one from a blank plate using chassis mount sockets to a greater packing density.

To cut down on filing, quite a few data outlets etc are available in XLR bodies, which only need a hole cut. You can squeeze 4 on a one gang plate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are 2 ways to do it.

  1. Sink a metal backbox
  2. Mount a surface box. There really isn't any other option.

If using a surface box, a straightforward twin surface box is more sensible than a convertor box. There is no advantage to the convertor type other than not needing to drill 2 fixing holes, and assorted downsides.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And a twin is a bit wider than a double....

Reply to
John Rumm