From Double Gang Box to Single

I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One of those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could hack the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount the new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down so far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what they're called so I might have better luck finding one? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Duggan

Paul, I don't understand how you can have 3 devices in a two gang box unless one is a combination device. It seems to me that you may have a 3 gang box. Regardless, you can get any type of wall plate configuration that you want at an electrical supply house. If the configuration that you want is not available, it can certainly be ordered. In your case you may be looking for a toggle/blank/toggle configuration. If you plan to use designer dimmers you could ask for a Decora/blank/Decora configuration. This would put the dimmers at each end and a blank in the middle of a 3 gang box.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

really depends on what kind of box it is. Plastic/fiber boxes typically used for residential are not made for new rings. The screw holes for the devices are in the way. If you have a metal box then MAYBE.

Either way if you have 3 devices and you want to reduce to 2 then get a plate like this

Switch, Switch, Blank. Your not going to find one at the home stores. Your going to have to go to a electric supplier and order it. Expect to pay $10.

Reply to
SQLit

they're

typically used

stores. Your

OK, thanks for the replies. I think I was confused about a double-width plate and 'two-gang'. Yes, it's got three switches on it currently, one of which I want to do away with. Anyway, it looks like I'm either making big holes in the wall or sticking with a face-plate of the same size as what I currently have. Thanks again.

Reply to
pdduggan

just leave the useless switch there and forget about it...

the next owners will wonder about the 'mystery switch' and it will be fun for them.

randy

Reply to
xrongor