single gang wall box spacer needed

Hello Does anyone know where I can purchase a single gang wall spacer please. These are used where either the single or twin electric boxes fitted flush to wall are not deep enough for say example sockets. I have seen these spacers before but cannot find them anywhere now. Usually white plastic square or rectangle, hole either side for the socket screws to go through and around quarter inch thick. Cheers

Reply to
technical123

On 22 Oct 2005 05:42:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com scrawled:

They do what? I think you're making this up.

If the the box isn't deep enough then you either a) have stuffed too many wires behind it or b) have made a pigs ear out of connecting the correct amount of wires.

Reply to
Lurch

I fink he means a pattress box?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nothing to do with sinking the back box deep enough then?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'm pretty certain MK still list them. Look up their cat. at a wholesaler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:47:07 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" scrawled:

No.

Reply to
Lurch

Wood-effect ones, for mounting behind switches for decorative effect, in the "blister packed fancy lightswitches" department at Buy & Queue, may be what you want.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I could not find them in the MK cat but I'll give them a call to check. Plan B is to purchase the thinest possible surface box and cut out the inside and hope I can feed the screws all the way through to make a spacer.

Thanks

Reply to
technical123

That's one alternative. You'll need to remove the brass screw inserts and drill all the way through. Good luck - those boxes are so easily broken.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Matt

MK2134WHI

Job Done!

Reply to
Clive Dive

I once ground out the innards of a blanking plate with a Dremel to increase the depth of a surface box (temporarily!), to accomodate a dimmer switch.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks for the ideas and the reference number

Cheers

Reply to
technical123

As well as the MK item described in other replies, MK also include a shim about 3mm deep with some of their dimmer switches. Not sure if this is deep enough to allow the dimmer to be used on a plaster depth box (it looks to slim to me, but can't imagine why else it would be needed) or if they can be obtained independently. I should have a couple hanging around, drop me a note if you think they might work for you and I'll send them over gratis (subject to finding them, and with the caveat that they're probably curver to suit MK Logic items).

Depending on what you're trying to achieve, there are items that have deeper sides than normal so the functionality they provide can be retro fitted to a shallow box. A few that come to mind are dimmer switches and Euromod frames (for fitting networking components that prefer a 35mm box to a 25mm one), and low profile converter sockets that fit over a single gang box to provide two sockets.

HTH IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

The boxes come in different depths. It is quite possible to have one that isn't deep enough for the accessory, although I suspect it is quite rare. Trying to replace a light switch with an FCU, for example, where you might replace the "outside" light switch with an RCD FCU.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle