can you artex over old tiles?

Can you arstec over old tiles, or even better, have a skim coat of plaster? Old tiles are even and rock solid.

TIA

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

You can skim just about anything solid, if you PVA it first. OTOH, if you are skimming anyway, you might as well take them off. It's a good excuse for your first SDS drill, which will have them off like a hot knife through butter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

| In article , | "Zipadee Doodar" writes: | > Can you arstec over old tiles, or even better, have a skim coat of plaster? | > Old tiles are even and rock solid. | | You can skim just about anything solid, if you PVA it first. | OTOH, if you are skimming anyway, you might as well take them | off. It's a good excuse for your first SDS drill, which will | have them off like a hot knife through butter.

But taking old tiles off with brute force and ignorance methods also removes lumps of the underlieing plaster which will need repairing. So doing things on top of the tiles will probably involve less work.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:25:49 GMT, "Zipadee Doodar" scrawled:

Something wrong with the thread you started earlier?

Reply to
Lurch

Hi

I don't think a skim coat of paster will take easily. Bonding plaster (as opposed to the more regularly used Browning) might have a chance (it sticks to low absorbtion surfaces like engineering bricks), but it would then need a skim coat itself.

And I'm just off to the other thread you started...

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

I've seen cemented on tiles in 1930's houses that are almost impossible to shift.

I think If I had to skim over such a surface, i'd score it over with an angle grinder with a stone cutting disk on first, to give the skim something to key to.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

You can skim over a sheet of glass if you PVA it first.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew

Is that with a standard finishing coat?

I thought that standard plasters depended on an amount of absorbtion to draw the layers together, and that PVA was usually used to reduce this absorbtion and prevent too quick a moisture grab from the underlying surface.

Does the PVA have a different role in the situation you describe?

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes