Gas shortage UK

It's happening already....

I've never seen the cables from Europe maxed out before. Looks like the gas tank's running out....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We are winning the war on energy.

“Under my plan … electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.”

Barack Obama

Reply to
John Larkin

Maybe Europe has more energy than it knows what to do with, e.g. wind, rather than we are low on gas.

Reply to
Pancho

Nah.

Biomess is on tick over with OCGT and Coal shown as zero, if electricity was that short prices would skyrocket and it would be worth firing them up.

Reply to
Spike

Explain.

Explain.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

ROFL! "More energy than it knows what to do with" has not happened since the shenanigans with Russia.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They have. We have them artificially capped by government subsidies, and they've still doubled.

Are you sure there's much biomass to fire up? The dial shows only a couple of GW to spare. And I was under the impression we'd shut down most of the coal stations or converted them to gas.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There is no obvious way to store even one full day's use of electrical energy.

Reply to
John Larkin

You can buy a battery which will power your home for a week.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I will shortly be buying some lead acid leisure batteries, they're very good at storing a lot of energy cheaply, several times cheaper than lithium crap.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A Powerwall costs about $11K and is claimed to power a typical house for 1.5 days. Between fires.

Grid-scale storage would have to power industry and transport too, and cooking and cooling and heating for all-electric homes after NG is banned.

Reply to
John Larkin

Our democrat party has all said we must suffer through these pains as we are crucified on the green cross.

Reply to
Frank

Neat! I don't mean the data, just the presentation. At a concert in a very intimate venue I stood leaning on the sound guy's cabinet. There was a fantastic digital presentation of a traditional mixer and the other boards right down to shadowing on the toggle switches.

Skeuomorphism isn't dead.

Reply to
rbowman

ROFL! Like this bus?

However, they're much safer than petrol filled vehicles.

We have that. Reversible hydro electric dams, huge batteries like in California.

What is NG?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

ROFL! Like this bus?

However, they're much safer than petrol filled vehicles.

We have that. Reversible hydro electric dams, huge batteries like in California.

What is NG?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I fail to see why people vote for left wing clowns.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I fail to see why people vote for left wing clowns.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Natural gas.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ah, I also read it as "(cooking and cooling and heating for all-electric homes after NG) is banned." which would mean after NG, we are not allowed to cook cool or heat. I think brackets ought to be used more in sentences.

Since when could gas cool something anyway?

And we could be storing hydrogen created with electrolysis when there's too much electricity. This could then simply burn in a power station. For example an offshore windfarm with an electrolysis station and a power station to burn the hydrogen, both where the wire comes ashore.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That is in California. Where almost everything causes cancer. Now natural gas does something bad. They have starting banning all gasoline powered lawn equipment like mowers and weed eaters.

There are some campers that the refrigerator is cooled by propane.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery