Basement Foundation

I have an open basement foundation on my property that has never been built on. I am wanting to just fill in the foundation and build my house next to it. My question is can I just leave the walls on the foundation up and just fill in the foundation as a whole or do the walls need to be knocked down?

Reply to
Michaela

Any chance it will ever have a house on it? Full 8' basement?

I'd poke some big holes in it. You don't want a watertight hole that could be a problem years later and create a swampy mess. Is there a floor? If so, I'd open part of that too.

I don't know if it can be converted to anything useful like a septic tank or swimming pool.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Would you possibly want to convert all or part of it to an old fashioned root cellar?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What are the walls made of? Does it have a floor? Details matter.

Reply to
micky

I would put some holes in the floor for drainage before getting suitable fill material. If the new house will have a basement, the earth from there would be perfect. Other than that, there might be some local ordinance covering this, but if there is, I've never heard of it here. And I don't think I would go looking either. After it's filled, will have to top it off later again as it settles.

Reply to
trader_4

Or a fallout shelter :-)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Or a trench, for shooting at your neighbor.

Reply to
micky

There is no floor right now in the basement. The walls are concrete. I'm not sure if we can just fill the basement or if we just just fill it in.

Reply to
Michaela

No floor is good so it won't become a soggy mess. Do the walls come above the normal ground line?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It might be useful to first check with the local building authority to get their advice (particularly with respect to the legal liabilty issues). Then check with a local contractor to remedy the situation.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You haven’t done a very good job of describing the situation.

When you say “just fill the basement or if we just fill it in” what is the “it” that you are talking about?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Would you want to plant an oak tree in that area someday? I have no idea how much difference that would make as far as filling the hole. I've always heard that there is as much tree below the surface as there is above.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Seems to me that you ought to call whatever agency issues the building permits/does the inspections in your jurisdiction-- rather than standing here on the street corner shouting out your question to passers-by hoping to get anything approaching the right answer ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I'd fill it halfway, pour a floor, and have a swimming pool.

Reply to
TimR