Wearing face masks?

Sure it wasn't a ball gag?

Reply to
Jimk

When SWAMBO attended a clinic today at Jimmy?s Leeds she was given a mask and was asked to wear it and asked to wear it each time she attends. Seems to go against the general advice from the government or is this an indication of a change of policy soon?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Nicola Sturgeon says the Scottish Government is 'recommending' masks. I assume she would recommend them in Leeds too if asked :-)

Reply to
Scott

If they want me to wear one, they can provide one. Until then ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I was equipped with one in A&E the other week

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is a DIY group.

Reply to
GB

Recommending but not making them obligatory. The deal seems to be that they don't particularly protect the wearer unless they are weapons-grade kit, but that they will contain the coughs & sneezes *of* the wearer. IOW, there is no clear answer on this one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just for Hilary Benn or for everyone?

Reply to
ARW

What type of mask is it that they expect it to be reused multiple times? Have they given her a sterilisation kit of some sort?

Seems a bit daft really.

Reply to
Richard

What sort of mask? If it was a standard "surgical" type of mask, it will protect others from the wearer rather than the other way round. However, a FFP3 type mask is effective at protecting the wearer.

The confusion seems to arise because viruses are so small, they will pass through (or around) most masks. However, most coughed particles are much larger than viruses (in the range of 0.3 - 10 microns), and *will* be caught by a P3 mask. SAGE (whoever they are) have been trying to find a way for weeks to back-pedal on this without losing face. I had a couple of unused F3 masks (meant for a dusty job in the loft which I got someone in to do in the end), and checked up on the internet more than a month ago as to whether or not they would be worth wearing. Some papers weren't available in full, but those I could check said more often than not that P3 masks were effective against coughed and sneezed particles, but P1 and P2 masks were not.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The problem is, the work has not been done on this, so, if it may be of use in any way, then why not wear it until the emergency is over. Its to protect others should you cough or sneeze and be unable to get to a tissue in time. Also, have several and wash them in water and fairy liquid at over 60 degrees C for some minutes, then put them through the washing machine if you think they can take it. I don't like masks myself. Its probably as good to wrap a scarf around your nose and mouth. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

If you read the Scottish thing fully though it says there is no proof but in places where social distancing can be a challenge its an added protective measure. Its OK to go for a walk without one, its just for close proximity use. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

IOW, for hand-to-hand coughing and spluttering.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is the mask SWAMBO was given today. It does not look washable having a paper like feel. She was told to wear it again on arrival tomorrow for treatment now wether she will have it replaced remains to be seen.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You were going to wear a respirator/mask on a plane trip.

How did that go. Did you wear it for the entire flight or rip it off after a few minutes?

Reply to
Pancho

Ideally some sort of mounting case for a filter taken from a shaped vacuum cleaner bag

Reply to
Jethro_uk

supposedly quite difficult to breathe through?

That aussie bloke who made the cat piss detterent has turned his hand to masks using hot iron to melt seams instead of stitching, I seem to have some disposable polypropylene dust sheets ...

Andy Burns

Even the most rudimentary is going to make the distance a sneeze or whatever travels less.

But so many only think of it as regards protecting themselves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We couldn't wear the masks for more than hour or so at a time.

Reply to
GB

I'll just mention that these were P3 masks. Something like a surgical mask would probably be much more comfortable.

I think we underestimated the risks we were taking by travelling, but we got away with it.

Reply to
GB