OT: Face masks for ladies

I took SWMBO to Screwfix to get her a face mask, as we are flying to a fairly high risk zone next week.

There's not a lot of stock available, and when she tried on the only mask they had, it was clearly too big. Where do lady-builders get their PPE from?

Reply to
GB

Are you after just the paper masks of something a bit better? For better you would need to attend a face mask fitting appointment.

As an aside to the face masks may I suggest that you take some antibacterial hand gel with you? The stuff I keep in the van is small

50ml bottles of the stuff.

It's basically ethanol but I use it after working in unsanitary places where there is nowhere to wash my hands and I believe that hand to mouth contamination may pass on the virus. In my case is Weil's disease I am protecting against.

Reply to
ARW

All the £2-3 masks are long gone! I actually bought one of these to try:

It's simply bigger than her face!

She wouldn't wear a respirator (at least, that's what I call them), ie one of those heavy things with a couple of filters. I like those, and find them quite comfortable, but I think she'd rather have the virus.

Weil's Disease - spread by rat pee! Lucky you. If you can still find any hand gel anywhere, it's probably good to stock up.

Reply to
GB

Or lady tree surgeons or many other 'traditionally male' roles?

The answer is in many cases they don't, they have to try to fit a mans size (often small, but even if it actually fits, often the wrong shape) or go without? ;-(

Luckily, neither of my girls are 'petite' so can usually find something that doesn't swamp them and is safe to use (nothing worse than an oversize glove or Hi-Vis vest getting caught up in stuff).

Re your question, are you talking proper respirator masks (class FFP2 or FFP3?) here as I believe they are the only things worth having for real protection against COVID-19?

I guess 'a mask' would be better than no mask but possibly, not by much. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If there is no hand gel then there are no face masks!

I do work on farms from time to time and I consider Weil's disease a risk to me.

Reply to
ARW

My local screwfix is rationing face-masks to 5 per order.

Reply to
alan_m

If they have any left.

Reply to
ARW

She could improvise. Ladies lingerie shops sell something similar - they come in pars linked together. Sizes are graded alphabetically with increasing size A - K.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The mask reduces hand-mouth contact which I think is why they are effective (to the extent of their effectiveness).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

These arrived from Amazon today, 24 hours after ordering:

No idea whether they will fit your lady, but they are supposed to be one size fits all. Note that these are P3 rated, which is the WHO recommended level for stopping viruses.

As ARW suggests, take plenty of suitable hand sanitizer, as touching a contaminated surface then your face, eyes, or mouth as considered to carry a much higher risk of transmission than airborne contamination.

Reply to
nightjar

I was under the impression that the main value of the simple masks was to protect others from any contaminated droplets you might sneeze or cough out.

Reply to
nightjar

"Are face masks useful for preventing coronavirus?

Face masks play a very important role in places like hospitals, but there is very little evidence of widespread benefit for members of the public."

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

That's what I think as well. *Proper* hand washing or the regular use of a alchohol based hand sanitiser is probably more effective than a mask. Your much more likely to pick up the virus from a contaminated surface and transfer it to your eyes or mouth.

A simple paper surgical mask doesn't fit well enough and is used during surgery to try and reduce nasties getting out and into the patient. They are also a disposable item so *a* mask isn't much good, you need a stock or reliable supply.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anti-bacterials may or may not see of a virus particle.

Being alcohol based that will see of most virus particles.

For the last two weeks there has only been a gap on the shelf where the alcohol based hand sanitiser would be in the Tesco I frequent

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Our local Aldi had a large bin of 500ml bottles, in the 'random stuff' section.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

In case it's any help, I eventually tracked down a mask in size "small medium".

It's due to arrive on Friday, so we'll know then whether it more or less fits.

Reply to
GB

Since they now seem to be saying that the main infections are from superspreaders who can spread it while not appearing to have it at all, I reckon masks and anti bacteria gel are pointless. What you need is for the spreader to wear the mask, but they are unaware they have it and viruses are not killed by anti bacterial gel. Best plan is not to go anywhere near an infested area, unless you want to spend two weeks indoors.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The prices that the link gives for even relatively simple ones suggests people are trying to take advantage!

Reply to
newshound

I get areas of sore skin in strange places. If every other remedy fails and the irritation is too much to bear I wash the area and dry it then put some of this stuff on it. It stings like absolute crazy but it numbs the area for hours. Also I've found this stuff clears up thrush better than Canesten. My GP says I'm a nutter.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Use petrol instead. Or thinners.