Face masks and nose clips

Not wishing to get embroiled in pro/con debate.

Cloth face masks tend to cause my spectacles to steam up.

A quick experiment pinching at the bridge of my nose seems to improve things.

Has anyone tried a swimming style nose clip with these things?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

No, but proper FFP2 / FFP3 masks have a metal strip in them to shape/squeeze against the nose. Perhaps that could be fasioned with a suitable strip of thin metal?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

We DIY masks with a pocket for a nose wire. Plastic covered garden wire works well (with the ends folded back); doubled up if it's thin stuff. Might be possible to tack a pocket to bought masks.

Reply to
Robin

Even those I find will steam up my glasses. What I tend to do is remove my glasses, bend the metal strip in the mask into a tight U before putting the mask on, then put the mask on and put my glasses back on and seat them hard down on the bridge of my nose so that they pinch the mask and seal any gap. It doesn't always work, but usually.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Doesn't your face mask already have a wire strip in the nose position?

Reply to
alan_m

my masks have something like this for the nose wire ...

alan_m

Try sticking about 12 cm of foam draught excluder along the wire inside the mask. That should help seal the gap between the mask and the skin either side of your nose under your eyes.

Whether your skin will or will not become irritated by any chemicals in the foam is something only answerable by trying it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

David snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote in news:hu3hpgFded8U4 @mid.individual.net:

A bit of copper wire in the seam does the trick

Reply to
JohnP

David explained :

A paperclip, straightened out, with the ends folded over to avoid the sharp ends, then pushed along inside the top seam of the mask works for me. Centre the clip over your nose, then bend it around to fit reasonably tightly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Of the half-dozen or so different non-medical face masks I have bought, in various designs, only one came with a nose strip.

Reply to
nightjar

Probably had a strip but along the bottom edge. You have to watch out for those convex spoons, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes but it makes everyone sound like they are American athletes with too many teeth. Just put some washing up liquid on the inside or your specs, or indeed the outside.. There are all sorts of bespoke preparations that say they stop windows and glasses misting, have you tried any? Myself its academic these days! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

And left-handed teacups, and nails with the heads on the wrong end. The world is full of things deliberately created to confuse the unwary!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's what I do.

Reply to
R D S

Clean your lenses with soapy water and then dry Then rub soap on your lenses and smear it all around. Leave a while. Wipe clear with a tissue.

It will provide some relief from steaming up for some period of time.

Reply to
R D S

Just to note that I ordered some nose clips. Tried one today and it does stop my glasses steaming up.

Downsides are it is a bit uncomfortable, and the moisture which would have come down my nose and steamed up my glasses was left bubbling away up there.

On balance I think it is a win. I shall see how it goes long term.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David