Hard and soft FFP2 respirators

Now that supply has improved, the government is recommending FFP2 respirators rather than those surgical masks which have been popular so far.

Disposible FFP2 respirators come in soft and hard versions. Is one type easier for breathing than the other?

(To allow a direct comparison, I'm ignoring valved versions.)

Reply to
Pamela

I don't know and it'll be a while before I am looking, as I managed to buy a supply of FFP3 masks a while ago.

However, at a glance, FFP2 masks are available at about 50p each. I can see some low income families struggling - two a day required per child at school (school requirement), 5 days a week, plus masks for parents travelling to and from work, plus whatever they are all doing at the weekends. Could easily be unaffordable for some who are just keeping their heads above water.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I suppose it's better late than never. As someone who's been wearing a valved FFP3 since March last year, when Government advice was that masks weren't necessary as they had little effect, I pay no attention to their advice on masks.

I'd doubt there is much practical different, although it would depend on the closeness of fit and surface area. The valve doesn't make any difference to breathing in anyway, it only makes breathing out easier. Out of interest why you are only looking at disposable masks? Why not get a washable/reusable mask?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Hard is better, as you'll get a much better seal? The cheap paper masks make my glasses steam up. My 'proper' masks don't.

There's an argument for putting something over the exit valve, to deflect any droplets.

Reply to
GB

The major benefit of a mask seems to be to reduce the ejection of particulates from someone who is infected so I'm always surprised when I see someone wearing a valved mask because it seems rather selfish. Perhaps these people test themselves every day to make sure they aren't infected - do you?

Reply to
nothanks

Or perhaps they have taped a filter (e.g. a piece cut from a Numatic's Hepaflo bag) over the inside of the valve. You could always ask them.

Reply to
Robin

FFP3 filters out more than FFP2 but is the airflow through the fabric (or hard shell) more restricted?

The air pressure from my breath in an FFP2 respirator already makes my specs steam up. I don't want FFP3 to be worse.

It could a problem with fit as much as restricted airflow.

Reply to
Pamela

I was using "disposible" to distinguish from those heavy duty gasmask- style respirators with detachable canisters which some people here might use for DIY.

Reply to
Pamela

I'm comparing unvalved FFP2 respirators: some are made of fabric and some are a semi-hard shell.

I'm ignoring surgical face masks (although there are different grades of those).

I found this article very useful:

Pamela

I don't find the problem with glasses steaming up any better or worse with the basic masks or FFP3. I have heard that you can improve the fit by twisting each loop through 180°, so that the loop comes down from the top of the mask, under your ear, loops over the top and then comes from the top of your ear to the bottom of the mask - however, I've not tried it, as I have astigmatism and I am both short (roughly horizontally) and long-sighted (roughly vertically), so my vision is "good enough" for shopping, without my glasses on.

Never mind steaming up glasses, I can tell you, putting a mask on, having just put a mentholyptus throat sweet in your mouth is a bad mistake though!

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm saying that shells give a better seal.

The one I use is this:

It's close to a fabric mask, but with a better seal.

In terms of protecting yourself, rather than others, they are not much use.

Reply to
GB

With a cloth mask I have found that a swimmer's nose clip stops air coming out around the top and steaming up my glasses.

It does raise some questions about the effectiveness of the masks to filter out particles from the breath which is allegedly the main reason for wearing them.

For FFP* masks I would suggest getting ones with a metal strip over the bridge of the nose to help reduce the escape of air upwards.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

The exit valves on those are the worst I have seen and cry out for something over them that absorbs droplets, if only a cloth mask.

Reply to
Robin

I previously said "There's an argument for putting something over the exit valve, to deflect any droplets. "

Can I ask, is this the 5 minute argument?

Reply to
GB

and taking a mask off when you have 'behind the ear' hearing aids isn't easy either.

Reply to
charles

ISTR that Germany banned valved masks, possibly last year, because of this. Shields also spread droplets far more than do masks.

Reply to
PeterC

Actually to what end would you want to put it. If itscovid, then all you really need is to slow up any droplets you may be exhaling. Some of those proper surgical masks make people unintelligible. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Exactly which is why I use washable masks. the same few have been in use since the start here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No, it was an attempt to make you think that something which will just

*deflect* drops is rather selfish - not to say. C.f. the way that visors are not an acceptable alternative to face coverings under the legislation now in force for shops etc.

Or have I missed where you explained how you are doing the absorption bit?

Reply to
Robin

Well, I thought, as you did, that an extra mask over the top would help.

I'm not sure what ordinary face masks do, other than 'deflect drops'? Most of them leak ridiculously round the edges. So, all they do is reduce the flow. Perhaps I explained it badly, but that's what I had in mind.

Reply to
GB