Soft Drywall

I hope someone from this excellent group can answer this question.

We recently purchased a 22 year old home in the greater toronto area. I've been doing the usual installation of towel racks, knick knacks etc. and some drywall repairs. I've noticed that the drywall on the main and second floors seems softer than usual. It crumbles quite easily and doesn't have that tough resiliance that I'm used to.

Was there a problem with the drywall during that era, or perhaps did it get wet when they installed it?

All replies will be apreciated.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Hmmm, Think moisture. I am glad I left Toronto in 1970 out to West. Calgary is my home since.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not in that era that I'm aware of. Your area may be different. I would certainly look for moisture as the drywall (sheet rock) may crumble.

What kind of anchors?

Reply to
Oren

Anyone that leaves Toronto is glad.

Reply to
Rose

I have a similar problem but mine is due to the whole house being rocked in 3/8" drywall.

That 1/8" makes a huge difference.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

---------------------------- Moisture in the stuctures could also be caused by termites (this is what I discovered in my house after I bought it in 2003). Remove a sample area of the suspected drywall and visually inspect the studs.

Reply to
Hat

Hat wrote in news:03e1da73-90cf-4a9b-b1ce-fca42a679a38 @g28g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

Termites? Toronto? I don't think so!

I lived in VT about 50mi south of Canadian border near Montreal. There were none there so I doubt Toronto has them even though it's somewhat south of where I was.

Reply to
Red Green

If you do some research I think you'll find that's evidence of a home that stood for possibly several years without heat and wasn't occupied. We see it all the time here in NY.

Reply to
Twayne

The studs seem fine and I don't think termites are a problem in this area.

Thanks though for replying

Reply to
Peter H

Hmmm... that could be it. I know that a former owner had a difficult time selling... maybe he let it sit without heat while it was on the market.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

You didn't say what you considered as usual. All the previous homes I lived in were built in the 50's. Their walls were plastered. Compared to drywall that stuff is as hard as a rock.

You can score drywall with your thumbnail, it's that soft. With the paper removed it would not be able to support itself.

It may have been damaged somehow, Maybe someone papered directly over the raw drywall at one time and then the paper was pulled off taking some of the drywall paper with it.

If you push or tap on it does it seem solid. You can easily put your fist through 1/2" drywall. Try that on a real plaster wall and you will probably be wearing some plaster for a few months.

On the other hand it seems like Holmes gets most of his business around Taronna. :)

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Hmmm... that could be it. I know that a former owner had a difficult time selling... maybe he let it sit without heat while it was on the market.

Peter H

I bet that is what's going on as well...I see it here in Maine as well...People used to let summer homes sit all winter with no heat and after a few years the paint would peel and the drywall would fall apart...HTH..

Reply to
benick

Hmph. yet another reason why when I hit the lotto and build my dream house, it won't have any drywall in it. T&G plank paneling, exposed stone, brick, whatever. Never did trust drywall.

aem (hey you dang kids get offa my lawn) sends....

Reply to
aemeijers