Can someone ID this experiment

A jar (Petri dish I think it was) 1/2 full of liquid A. A single drop from an eyedropper charged with liquid B was dropped in the middle of liquid A. Immediately, liquid B dispersed to the sided of the Petri jar (ie horizontally)!

It could be something dispersed from liquid A to the sides - am not sure. But the effect was dramatic anyway. Wish I could recall what the liquids were - or even what the experiment was all about. Anyone?

Did I just imagine it all!

Reply to
michael newport

Sounds like the physics experiment to measure the surface area a single drop of oil spreads to, in a container where the surface of the water was dusted with lycopodium powder, and hence estimate the molecular thickness of the oil film.

Reply to
Andy Burns

on 26/10/2016, michael newport supposed :

A thin film of oil on water, with a detergent mix in B?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's what I thought. Detergent breaking surface tension, or something.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Dust/pepper on water, pulled to the sides by detergetn?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I caught sight of this in the column of Youtube videos down the side:

Blue Peter, eat your heart out!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No water repellent can do this sort of thing. I still find that plastic foam demo in a paper cup rather creepy myself. The nylon thread one is pretty cool though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But fails as no 'sticky back plastic' present!

Here's an interesting project that uses some of that to extend the viewable screen area on a laptop.

Upcycling never looked so good!

Bit too much glue for my liking.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Ah - great replies tvm - it was real. I did look for it first 'onest

Reply to
michael newport