Ceramic tap has become very hard to turn

We have two ceramic taps on the washbasin.
The hot tap turns easily - but the cold tap has become almost impossible
to turn - very stiff.
Advice please!
Reply to
Chris
Quite often caused by bits of grit or stone in the water. The cure is to remove and clean the capsule. If you persist with forcing it the disc fractures and life becomes interesting - and wet.
Reply to
Peter Parry
Should have said it's usually the cold tap because bits of stone settle to the bottom of the hot tank and don't make it to the taps. Often happens when work has been done on the mains.
Reply to
Peter Parry
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 21:19:45 +0000, Peter Parry wrote:
The instructions with Ceramic disc taps I have recently bought mention the need for strainers/filters in the water supply . Robert
Reply to
robert
In article , snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes
That sounds a bit over the top. Is it better to avoid ceramics and use conventional taps?
Reply to
Chris
I had this on one, I stripped it and soaked in vinegar - it was just scaled up, and has been fine since.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
In article , Chris writes
Thanks for your replies. I asked a retired plumber and he advised squirting with WD40. That worked perfectly. What an amazingly simple solution!
Reply to
Chris

Site Timeline Threads