Chemicals in Face Masks

I'm sure the are many articles on the subject...

Try Google Scholar to search...

Certain Face Masks Contain Toxic Chemicals, Inhalation of Which has the Potential to Affect the Upper Respiratory System

- However, certain types of face masks have been shown to contain toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, aniline, and Perfluorocarbons (PFCs). Various health ?

An investigation into the leaching of micro and nano particles and chemical pollutants from disposable face masks-linked to the COVID-19 pandemic

-  The production of disposable plastic face masks (DPFs) in China alone has reached to ? fibres, particles, siliceous fragments and leachable inorganic and organic chemicals were observed ?

Go to Scholar.google.com Key phrase: chemicals in face masks

Reply to
Muggles

Would you like me to sew you some from plain cloth ? I'd be happy to do that for anyone who is honestly concerned about the "safety" of the disposable surgical masks. Other stylish alternatives are the bandana-style or the turtle-neck style - like the baseball coaches were wearing earlier this year. So happy to hear that you are considering wearing a safe comfortable mask Maggie - we all knew that you would eventually see the light. God bless & stay safe. John T.

Reply to
hubops

or the  turtle-neck style  -  like the baseball coaches were wearing  earlier this year.

a safe comfortable mask

that you would eventually see the light.

I guess you aren't aware that cloth fabric is manufactured with chemicals, too. They have fibers you can inhale, too, when up against your nose.

Additionally, the fabric weave is not barrier to viruses.

Reply to
Muggles

I'm a retired chemist and chemophobia ia a concern. We are chemicals and live in a sea of chemicals. Toxicity is dose related. We should not be afraid of everything with traces of toxic chemicals in them.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Those are truly just virtue signaling. They are 90% ineffective on the aerosols that spread the virus. The North Carolina study said a neck gaiter and a bandana were worse than nothing. They aerosolize the droplets they are supposed to stop. A properly fitted KN-95 is only stopping about half and your preeminent scientific university says so (Waterloo)

gfretwell

If I gave a crap about that, I'd wear a respirator when working with solvents. Or gloves.

Been a while since I washed my hands in gasoline. I generally use mineral spirits these days.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

LOLOL!

Well, I'm not going to deliberately inhale stuff into my lungs that are known to be toxic to lung tissue.

Reply to
Muggles

My preference is Lava soap and hot water ... I stopped washing my hands in solvents a long time ago .

Reply to
Snag

I don't do it very often. I rarely get anything on my hands that requires that sort of cleaning. But I'm not opposed to it when required.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

What do you do when you get stuck in traffic behind a bus? Hold your breath?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

  • 1 ... or buy new flooring or furniture ; or walk into a dollar store ! I find that I am somewhat affected by all that plastic <off-gassing ? >

I get in & out as fast as possible - and worry about the workers who spend their work-week there. John T.

Reply to
hubops

from that link :

"There is no question it is beneficial to wear any face covering, both for protection in close proximity and at a distance in a room,"

John T.

Reply to
hubops

You're still alive!!! How was the stay in the ICU? Meet plenty of fellow "God protects me" MAGA-hatted morons? Must have been nice. How were the funerals? So much to catch up on! []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Of course, until all her remaining her brain cells die off from lack of oxygen. I noticed it too. []'s

PS Exhaust fumes are FAR more toxic than any mask.

Reply to
Shadow

I don't want to be too pedantic but washing your hands in any petro based solvent is a bad idea, even if it wasn't a carcinogen. It strips the oils out of your skin. Until your body can replace, it makes the next time your hands get dirty much worse because the ink, paint or whatever will replace those oils and your hands will really be dirty. That is based on 30 years of working on big printers and presses. Use a real hand cleaner like this. They work better and they don't dry out your hands.

gfretwell

Yeah 10% better than nothing for a new surgical mask and worse than nothing for a neck gaiter, bandana or poorly made cloth mask.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, 'off-gassing.'

I get sick when I breathe such chemicals in the air. I can't stay in stores where off gasing is an issue. I've nearly passed out more than once from it, too.

Muggles

I did it when I was younger and years later, most of my hair fell out. Be careful with solvents.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No problemo

rbowman

Do the buses catch fire like the Chevy Volt does?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman