Breath-Easy Face Mask Wanted

I should like a face mask that will give proper protection when fitting loft insulation, and when working with wood and MDF.

Everything I have tried so far leaves me gasping a lot and unable to breath easily. I have tried those white hemispherical masks with a valve and fitting poorly at the edges, which cost two or three pounds; and more expensive Vitrex masks with rubber face-pieces and replaceable filter cartridges.

Can anyone give me details of a mask through which I could breath easily?

Regards.

Reply to
Cycle

I use a 3M one with appropriate cartridges for the job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

3M 3000, 4000 or 6000 series. Sensible price, good valves for easy breathing, good choice of filters.

The better ones use replaceable filters, so they last much longer. You can also buy a fixed-filter version (B&Q carry them) that's OK for limited or one-off use. For more money you can get full-face or silicone versions. Silicone is worth it if you're doing real work in a hot loft over the summer.

After use, remember to wash the sweat out of the inside, to let it dry properly and (especially for the fixed-filter versions) to store it back in the drawstring bag. As with anything made of rubber and elastic, store it out of sunlight.

Cheapest full-face masks for use with fibreglass or other solvents, rather than dust, are ex-military masks. Go for a British S10 and avoid the Soviet masks - they use a rubber "head bag" that's a pain to get on and off - although it does keep your hair clean, if you're working with your head in a bucket. NB - real S10 filters are grey plastic with a big hole, not black metal with little holes - those are training filters, they're probably worn out and didn't work well in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

the reason why are gasping when doing light physical work with a cheap mask is because with each breath you leave a little carbon di oxide this buils up and is this that makes the automatic nerviose system

Reply to
MikeS

Dear All, Using a cheap mask will make you gasp when doing light physical work. because of the build up of carbon di oxide. as you take a breath a little carbon di oxide is left behind and this gradualy builds up. As it is the build up of carbon di oxide which stimulates breathing not necessarrily the lack of oxegen. So a good mask has a one way valve which will only let fresh air in via the filter used air out directly to the out side thus you do not get a build up of carbon di oxide.

Basic Biology.

MikeS

Reply to
MikeS

Aye, very comfortable and well balanced. You can even get prescription lenses, though I'm not sure how easy that would be for a civy. I can't decide if asking in your local "specsavers" will be met with a blank look or "Yes sir, no problem, bring in the mask and we can cut the lenses to fit".

Can't remember what the ones where issued with during Gulf War I where like. But anyway they should be supplied in hard vacum sealed foil packs not open.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably not - but a good local optician who deals with companies should be able to help

Reply to
G&M

Dead easy - just ask Avon. They're not much use though - they only work well on one axis, because they're so far from the eye. For general use (as opposed to marksmanship) you're better off using a pince-nez insert on the inside. I can use my Bolle one (normally on my cycling glasses) perfectly well.

If you really need to wear your own spectacles though, find either an S6 mask or an American one. They have more "frame space" and the S6 has a better edge seal that's workable with thin frames (except for nerve agents).

BTW - if you ever see a set of "fly eye" dark lens covers for an S10, or the nomex fire hood, then snap it up. eBay collectors go insane for these, because of the "SAS" association.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thank you all for your helpful comments; I shall try out your suggestions.

Regards

Cycle.

Reply to
Cycle

I got a silicone half-mask from RS as a slightly lower cost alternative to the 3M masks. RS also do the filter cartridges. So far been very please with it - a lot of brick and plaster dust.

part no 228-7877

A smidge over £15 for the mask.

Reply to
Mark Begbie

Thank you for the detailed reference.

Regards

Cycle.

Reply to
Cycle

I would second that I use a S10, for good fit & protection. Spend many a hour masked!

Reply to
PeteK

Or try ARCO, the full face ones they sell are based on B.A. masks and have the fittings for short arm (stay inside the seal) specs....

Reply to
Badger

Unfortunately due to the nature of the mask the resistance to your breathing increases. You are having to suck air through a filter and also tubing instead of just straight in. This makes your lungs work harder, the only way around this is to wear powered respirators or positive pressure breathing apparatus. Both I suspect would be vastly over expensive and overkill for your needs. Look for a mask with 2 filters instead of one and you will get the least resistance. HTH

Reply to
John Woodhall