single pipe central heating

Hi everyone, i have a final project about single pipe central heating systems, and heating a building with the system... i am studying mech. eng. and i need detailed information about this subject... it would be glad if there are anyone can help me... it may be your own knowledge or experience about the system or may be a link to a site about system... Thanks For everyone who will answer me.....

Reply to
BAHADIR

The flow entering at at the top is the best position, whether pumped or on gravity. The flow went into the top on gravity systems. No need on a pumped system.

Reply to
IMM

You are implying water only enterdd the rads via gravity. Not the case. The pump did fiorce water through the rads. If a sudden influx of cold water is present in teh system, then some of this will enter the radiator.

To save costs lockshield valves were omitted on the rads and one gate valve was inserted on the combined return at the boiler, to balance the whole one pipe loop. When having a two pipe on the ground and one on the upper floors a gate valve was always inserted. on the one pipe loop at the boiler. This way the pump could be at high speed and the balance gate valve gave the right flow for the one pipe circuit to operate.

Most installers on changing boilers will not connect up to the one pipe system and will only do the job if they removed the one-pipe and replaced it with a two pipe. Some would make the customer sign a waver on the one-pipe loop, if it didn't work correctly after a boiler change. They would then cvharge for callbacks on the one pipe loop. Most of this was just pure ignorance, as a simple in-line restrictor would make it operate. In some cases they were not that stupid, they didn't want call backs as balancing was pig.

Reply to
IMM

Um, try reading what I actually wrote again. You seem to have misread or misunderstood it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You were on about the pipe having to be below the rads so hot water could flow into it. That does help, but not strictly necessary as the pump will force water into the rads.

Reply to
IMM

No, I do not think that a diverter tee is similar to a spreader "Y" tee. A diverter tee is similar to a tee with an additional in-line restrictor. If you look at the link I posted, there is a diagram of one.

I am not certain what you mean by a "spreader 'Y' tee" because I cannot find any other reference to this term. If you mean a Y-shaped tee, then a diverter tee is definitely not similar.

Reply to
Aidan

No, try again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

An in-line restrictor is adjustable. The diverter tee aims to do the same job a a spreader tee. A spreader T is a an odd shape and can't be made to look good on surface pipework in many situations, hence the diverter T.

A Y shaped tee does the same job - deliver equal amounts of flow to both pipes.

Reply to
IMM

In which case I'd probably know it as a regulating valve. The Monoflo tees have fixed in-line restrictions causing a portion of the flow to go down the branch.

No, only if the hydraulic resistance of the circuits is equal.

Reply to
Aidan

nope

Reply to
N. Thornton

Of which both types of tees do.

Reply to
IMM

Yep it does.

Reply to
IMM

"A Y shaped tee"?

Agreed. Which makes your introduction of a "spreader Y-Tee" into the thread rather pointless.

Reply to
Aidan

Yep, shaped like a "Y".

Going through the bits. The US diverter tee requires a pump with high head, which requires more power to operate it and more system noises. Best avoid.

Reply to
IMM