Using MDF to box in Central heating pipes

Hi all,

I've got a builder that installed gas central heating with the pipes running on the skirting. This was then boxed in by using mdf, but the mdf is almost 200mm x 200mm! I would expect the mdf to be as close to the pipes as possible. According to the builder, that's the way its supposed to be, but I have serious doubts about this.

Is there anyone with experience in boxing in central heating pipes? Is this normal practise?

thanks Carel

Reply to
Carel

Where we've boxed pipes in, it's typically been around 90mm deep and

100-150mm high.
Reply to
Grunff

On 1 Jun 2004 02:08:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@solomon.web.za (Carel) strung together this:

There is a product available that is plastic of some sort, and just clips over the pipes like a false skirting. I think Tower do it and someone else.

Depends on who's fitting the CH\boxing. Chances are if it's a builder that installed the heating none of it's right so for him, maybe it is normal practice to make it look a mess.

Reply to
Lurch

Carel wrote

There's no "supposed to be" about it - this is the usual way that builders pull the wool over your eyes. The depth of the boxing depends only on the distance from the wall to the outer face of the pipes, and should be as tight as possible but not touching the MDF, as this might cause noises when the pipes expand/contract. For 15mm pipes on pipe brackets this works out at no more than

60-70mm, depending on the thickness of the skirting and allowing for 10mm thick MDF. The height should ideally be slightly deeper than the skirting to hide the existing, and so that a new length of skirting can be provided on the face of the boxing to make it look a finished job.

HTH Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor
200mm is probably a stock size they carry and, being plumbers, they wouldn't have time to cut it down. D-i-ying it really is one of the all time fiddly jobs though. Last one I did took me all day to box in about 12 feet of pipework. Have a few size 6 self tapping screws handy when you do this job. If that last pin goes askew and punctures the pipe, you can always screw one straight into the hole. Only a temporary fix of course, but it does for a year or two.....
Reply to
stuart noble