Cone Shaped PVC Washer - Which Way Should it Face?

I've always been confused as to which way the cone-shaped plastic washer should face when installing kitchen sink PVC tubing - there are

2 configurations - one is from nut + inside washer + thread and the other is from nut + sliding washer on tube body + thread. Which way should the tapered or pointed end face in either case? The first one has a flange and the second one simply slides on the tube body. Do they both face the same direction, and if so, which way, and if not, which tapered end faces which way relative to the inside of the nut? Thanks for a quick reply - the sink is leaking like crazy.

IB

Reply to
Indio Bravo

The pointed end slides into the compression counterpart, squeezing the washer as the nut it tightened. If you look closely, you'll see that the inside of the fitting itself has a taper to it, intended to squeeze the washer.

Reply to
Nonny

Thanks, I can see this for the sliding washer. But what about the same washer being compressed against the flange underneath the sink basket. It looks good to see the flat portion seat against the underside of the flange but shouldn't it be the other way around? Is the compression force being applied on the flat side in both cases, and not on the tapered side?

Reply to
Indio Bravo

Indio Bravo wrote: ...

You talking waste or supply lines, here????

--

Reply to
dpb

Kitchen sink and dishwasher drain going into the trap

Reply to
Indio Bravo

Let me clarify - the old washer was a rubber ring - I'm trying to replace it with a tapered washer - am I doing it wrong?

Reply to
Indio Bravo

Yeah, you're using the wrong part. You need another like the original; the cones are for compression fittings which those aren't.

--

Reply to
dpb

I thought so but I wasn't sure - you guys are wonderful! Thanks and may God bless you.

Reply to
Indio Bravo