OT: Face masks for ladies

It's not coming from China is it?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They are P3 rated and that level of protection has never been cheap. The ones I bought are actually quite reasonably priced for the protection level they give.

I do have some ordinary surgical masks, from the days when I worked in the business. If you can manage to buy any today (most people seem to be out of stock), they are quite a lot cheaper, but only offer limited protection to the wearer.

Reply to
nightjar

on 26/02/2020, williamwright supposed :

'This stuff' ???? is?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Mandy Rice Davies.

Reply to
GB

I think they really need to be disposable.

Last week I did post about using DIY masks for wu flu, but I was joking.

The point is any good mask gets very moist, even a big one like:

Which I do have and is very good for the airless sprayer but I wouldn't recommend it for your wife even if she had the panache carry off wearing it in public.

Reply to
Pancho

We were discussing this last night. First of all, the disposables are sold out worldwide, pretty much, so that's not an option.

Second, if travelling away from home, you can only take precautions for a while. Eventually, you are going to want to eat or drink something. Obviously, you have to remove the mask. More importantly, you'll be eating stuff that's been through multiple hands.

We plan to wear the masks in the airports and possibly on the plane (which is flying three quarters empty, by the way). The chance of being infected by plane passengers from the UK on the outbound flight seems remote, but the cabin staff...

Reply to
GB

The link in the reply you snipped.

Reply to
ARW

Doncaster Jail is probably more of a risk. You'd need to go swimming in the Thames to put yourself at risk of weils.

I spent most of my childhood on a farm behind me, and clearing rats from the chicken houses with a pack of jack russells was a regular highlight.

Reply to
Andrew

The cheap masks aren't much use. effective and regular handwashing is the best defence (apart from avoiding people).

If someone coughs or sneezes close-up and facing you then you are going to get aerosols in your eyes and that is one of the routes in.

Reply to
Andrew

I work in farms and in jails. I also work in lots of other places.

Now where do you think I was working when I saw this sign on a toilet door?

ARW

Don't know but the customers toilet at Wickes, St. Albans has been unusable for 12 months!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

One company I worked for had a 'religion of peace' contractor guy in for a few weeks.

The FFB type.

It seems that he used to squat on the pan and ended up crapping all over the back down the wall. Cleaning ladies weren't too happy at that.

The bogs on Worthing sea front could do with a notice like that too.

Reply to
Andrew

Ambulance station?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You have the correct company but the wrong people.

Reply to
ARW

IME a problem common to many an organisation with substantial numbers of employees who are not used to the concept of sit-to-shit. See eg

Robin

Any other guesses before I tell?

Reply to
ARW

FTAOD I wasn't guessing Lloyds. They'd have a posher sign - and know better than to refer to "cleaning ladies". Hospital porters?

Reply to
Robin

This was the staff changing rooms in a hospital theatre.

Reply to
ARW

In a former job, I spent my time designing control systems in the office and overseeing installation/commissioning and repeated calibration at printworks. I was occasionally lent to another arm of the company, working on cooling/humidifying systems in bakeries. On certain bakery sites (particularly around London - Erith was noteworthy), I would always use the office toilets, because the factory ones were in an appalling state. I am loathe to say it, but the Erith bakery, unlike most of the others, was staffed almost entirely by workers that were not born and brought up in the UK.

Back to your NHS reference though. My wife worked for the NHS, in hospitals and later in an office based community nursing team. She repeated witnessed staff exiting toilet cubicles and leaving without washing their hands. A colleague actually asked her why she always came back to her desk with paper towel in her hand and got the point when she said that she washed her hands, dried them with a paper towel and turned off the tap with it and then used another towel to open all the doors between the washbasin and her desk rather than touch all the handles that had been used by the "unclean" ones.

I have often wondered why the entrance/exit doors to the toilets at workplaces aren't set back and made to open outwards, so that you could get out by pushing the door with you shoulder rather than using your clean hands to pull on a dirty handle.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

This week I have worked in a meat processing factory and a pallet factory.

The pallets were more hygienic than the meat.

I never heard an English voice in either place (other than the management).

Reply to
ARW