On the move

We are on the move. We have a very keen buyer who is looking for an exchange early August and we have had an offer accepted on a house in Norfolk. Once we are in I'm sure there will be a new crop of DIY jobs many of which will lead to questions.
The only obvious problems are the old fuse wire type fuses which could lead to a full re-wire. Plus the facias need replacing, what is recommended these days I've heard mention of some wood look alike fibreglass material that might be better than UPVC.
I'm not sure the workshop at the new place will be big enough. Its only 21ft x 65ft :-)
Mike
On 09/07/2018 15:36, Muddymike wrote:

Not always. Anything built after 1966 SHOULD be OK to swap for a RCD consumer unit.
--
Adam

On Monday, 9 July 2018 18:09:58 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

PVC wire doesn't usually deteriorate.
NT

That's what ARW said above. Anything built after 1966 should use PVC.
On 10/07/2018 08:45, dennis@home wrote:

But if you're unlucky you may find aluminium inside the PVC. DAMHIK
--
Robin
On 10/07/2018 08:45, dennis@home wrote:

PCV was also used before 1966, but did not usually have an earth for the lights.
It is surprising how many houses built in the late 60s and early 70 take a fuse box to RCD CU swap with very little problem.
There is often the main bonding to install or upgrade, a borrowed neutral for the landing light is also very common along with a pesky trapped neutral with a socket screw.
The biggest problem is usually the lack of sockets. eg my parents 1969 build only had two 1g sockets in every room apart from the kitchen. It is often as easy to rewire the sockets than add loads of extra ones to an existing circuit.
--
Adam

That many? When we bought our first house (1964) it had been wired in 1946. 4 power points! One in the kitchen and one in each bedroom. There was also 1 x 5amp 2 pin socket in the living room.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 10/07/18 20:09, charles wrote:

By 1953, my parents 3 bed new build had IIRC six. My father extended them in ways that make me shudder still.
We had one point in the kitchen which we didnt use until we bought a washing machine thing, but my dad spurred an electric clock into it.
We had to unplug the valve radio in the living room to use a vaccuum cleaner.
Ther was nothing in the dining room.
Each bedroom had a single socket we used for electric fires when the room went below zero. Ther was no central heating.
But they were new fangled 13A sockets!!!
The wiring was intact when the house was sold 50 years later, although more had been added by then
private property.

My parent's house was bought new in 1936. Power sockets were an extra. Although the incomer was two phase.
--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Think it might depend on where you bought the cable. Some wholesalers seemed only to stock TW&E, even where the earth wasn't required for lighting circuits. Lost count of how many times I've come across it present, but snipped off.
--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

It can in sunlight and in contact with EPS.
There was also that bad batch from the 60s(?) which leaked green gunk.
<snip>

*Jealous*
We often said we would like to move to Norfolk (we spent many family holidays there, typically on the broads somewhere) and I'd have a large Wickes like building for me and my projects and a bungalow that she can keep me (and my stuff) out of. ;-)
I could get an old static caravan and maybe even have it in the 'barn' as a workshop / man-cave.
This would mean I could:
1) Be able to do most things no matter the weather outside.
2) Have several projects on the go side-by-side (more efficient).
3) Have room to have 'stock' and machine tools without them getting in the way of what I'm working on.
4) Not have to try to do woodworking in an engineering machine shop / visa - versa.
5) Not having to have to rent storage elsewhere.
6) Not having to do any of it indoors. ;-)
<sigh>
Cheers, T i m

View it and weep;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6n3zc7t7w8xrdx/barn.png?dl=0
It's be quite nice once I've sorted the electrics and lined it to keep the weather out properly.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 45th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~

Well it's nice, but no where near the size I was talking about.

That's the point, with what I have in mind there wouldn't be much in the way of electrics ... or real need to keep the weather out particularly, more general covered space to be able to have *a few* boats, cars, trailers motorbikes and other kit / plant and space to move / work wound them.
My existing 20' x 10' workshop is pretty easy to heat, is fully wired and has most the kit / tools I need to everyday stuff, not the general room to spread out.
If I was to be jealous of anyone here (so far) for their space and sheds it would be that nice Mr Lamb. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

You have a pipedream. I have a barn.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 45th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~
<snip> >You have a pipedream.
True.

Compared with my pipedream, what you have is just a big double garage (nice though it is etc).
You would have to see Mr Lambs plant shed to get the idea.
The sort of place you could park 10 tractors in and it would still look empty. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 11/07/2018 09:34, T i m wrote:

There is a place like that down the road from here, it was full of manufacturing plant but they moved (or maybe shut down) a few months ago. Would make a nice shed but I wouldn't like the heating bills.
The warley model railway club is a few miles away and they have taken over a warehouse and filled it.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:56:04 +0100, "dennis@home"

Ok.

I don't think you would try would you?
I think this would be the role of portable IR heaters on you near where you were working, or setup a marquee type thing if you needed to warm what you were working on as well.
As mentioned, I'd have maybe a couple of old stripped out mobile homes / static caravans inside the 'warehouse' for my lathe and or smaller woodworking / electronic jobs / man cave.

That sounds like quite a layout!
BIL recently moved to Norfolk and has nearly finished setting up the back half of his double garage for his model railway layout. Apparently it's going to be over two levels with a 'lift up hatch' across the doorway.
I believe he's going to lay the track as I suggested with an (electrically) isolated section that we hope to automate with an Arduino and some other stuff that he can run manually.
Cheers, T i m
On 13/07/2018 09:18, T i m wrote:

There are quite a few in there, the last time I was there the biggest was about 50ft by 20ft in HO.
It the same group that take over some of halls at the NEC for the warley model rail show.
The club I go to only has a 22ft layout as its the biggest that will fit in the room. Its N scale though so its the equivalent of the 50ft one warley have.

I'm using an arduino for my DCC controller. I will probably use JMRI too.
I need DCC to run my N scale Pendolino model. But I am using the I/O pins to control the points and stuff, not DCC. I have had to use some nanos to generate pulses as I am using kato points and they burnout if you leave them powered. I could use more pins on the Arduino mega but there are only about 40 useable ones.
You can use H bridge motor controllers on DC models quite well. They let you control the speed and the direction without resorting to cr@ppy relays.

Hmm.. The current woodwork shed is shared with bits of agricultural tackle. Prolly about 25% of an 80' x 33' ex grain store.
The lathe, folder, guillotine and welding tackle have gone back the 18' x 36' barn they started from, 10 years back.
All this in 4 weeks as the nicely insulated workshop and the main grain barn have been sold for development.
Anyone feeling envious can consider the impossibility of insulating/heating such huge spaces.
--
Tim Lamb