Old tools

No not you lot these

Do any of you know what they are? I've not been around for a while as I've been living in 3 different holiday lets waiting to complete on our new workshop, sorry I mean new home:-)

Currently having great fun sorting out all the junk the previous owner left in the workshop. Electric drill, sander, hot air gun, lawn scarifier, strimmer, chain saw, lawn feed spinner, and a whole rack of garden tools. Plus so much more including 3 wheel barrows and a cement mixer! They all work and there are even spare wheels for the barrows.

I'm not confident the workshop is going to be big enough, its only 21ft x 65ft :-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In message , Muddymike writes

I can beat that easily:-) Further more I have a witness!

Are they for wood turning?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wondered that but they don't look right for it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, they?re ?spoon bits? for drilling wood (by hand).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well you learn something every day - I had never heard of those, but it sounds like chair makers are very fond of them.

Reply to
John Rumm

Presumably they were used with a wooden handle?

Reply to
newshound

I would expect them to go into a brace... those in the picture look like they have something akin to the tapered square section normally seem on the "bit".

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps I should take up spindle back chair making.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I'm quite relieved at the explanation. My mother was a gynaecologist, and I'm sure she had similar bits and pieces in her surgery.

Reply to
GB

Ah yes, now you say that I remember seeing pictures of them in a brace

Reply to
newshound

There's a Youtube video of someone using a modern spoon-bit in a lathe to turn out a pipe bowl, here

The bit is solid, whereas the ones that Muddymike has looked hollowed out and concave, as you'd expect from the name.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Including the brace? ;-)

Reply to