Old tools

No not you lot these
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qytfe0du9i8c96/old%20tools.jpeg?dl=0
Do any of you know what they are? I've not been around for a while as I've been living in 3 different holiday lets waiting to complete on our new workshop, sorry I mean new home:-)
Currently having great fun sorting out all the junk the previous owner left in the workshop. Electric drill, sander, hot air gun, lawn scarifier, strimmer, chain saw, lawn feed spinner, and a whole rack of garden tools. Plus so much more including 3 wheel barrows and a cement mixer! They all work and there are even spare wheels for the barrows.
I'm not confident the workshop is going to be big enough, its only 21ft x 65ft :-)
Mike

I can beat that easily:-) Further more I have a witness!
Are they for wood turning?
--
Tim Lamb

On Thursday, 13 September 2018 21:29:24 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

I wondered that but they don't look right for it.
NT

No, they’re “spoon bits” for drilling wood (by hand).
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 13/09/2018 22:45, Tim+ wrote:

Well you learn something every day - I had never heard of those, but it sounds like chair makers are very fond of them.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/09/2018 01:48, John Rumm wrote:

Presumably they were used with a wooden handle?
On 14/09/2018 10:46, newshound wrote:

I would expect them to go into a brace... those in the picture look like they have something akin to the tapered square section normally seem on the "bit".
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/09/2018 10:54, John Rumm wrote:

I'm quite relieved at the explanation. My mother was a gynaecologist, and I'm sure she had similar bits and pieces in her surgery.
On 14/09/2018 13:58, GB wrote:

Including the brace? ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Brain surgeons uses bits and braces.
Not for the squeamish...

https://youtu.be/W2faAalWG2g

https://youtu.be/W2faAalWG2g

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 14/09/2018 10:54, John Rumm wrote:

Ah yes, now you say that I remember seeing pictures of them in a brace
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 16:40:38 +0100, newshound

There's a Youtube video of someone using a modern spoon-bit in a lathe to turn out a pipe bowl, here https://tinyurl.com/ycewv4vf The bit is solid, whereas the ones that Muddymike has looked hollowed out and concave, as you'd expect from the name.
--

Chris

On 14/09/2018 10:46, newshound wrote:

Perhaps I should take up spindle back chair making.
Mike