Now I understand about apprentices

Lad rings me up: "Your IKEA delivery will be in the next hour."
Me: "Thanks. Do you have a rough idea when?"
Him: "Dunno"
Me: "Are you in the truck?"
Him: "Yes"
Me: "Do you know roughly where you are?"
Him: "Dunno."
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 16:00:32 +0100, GB wrote:

Satnav then. I'll bet they all use it now.
He is obviously following one of those sat naves made by Bonnie Tyler. it keeps telling you to turn around and every now and then falls apart. I'll get me coat. Brian
--
----- --
On 09/07/2018 16:15, Brian Gaff wrote:

I used one of those when travelling on the continent. Needless to say I got lost in France.

Unusual. There's a tendency amongst luvvies and lefties to assume that slavery was only ever perpetrated by whites on other races. They conveniently overlook arab slavery (of blacks) and the involvement of local kings and chiefs at the time in slavery in West Africa.

When did IKEA start delivering?
[8 lines snipped]

If they're following a satnav, that's not that surprising.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 44th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
~ Stercus accidit ~

No idea, but they were always incompetent when I had to attend to receive goods for son.
He has a long tarmac path with a zig-zag section. Large vehicles can't get up. I would wait at the bottom of the path for the inevitable huge lorry to arrive. Every time the driver used to say "Ah yes, it says here smaller vehicle limited access", and drive off.
The worst was collection of the recalled wardrobes (the mirror doors used to fall out and shatter). I can't remember how many times they arrived in their big lorry - maybe 4, until eventually they got to the house.
--
Bill

no idea when they stated
but I took advantage of it 4 years ago
tim
On Monday, 9 July 2018 16:00:34 UTC+1, GB wrote:

I would have replied I dunno;-)

:-) a fair few 10+ years ago I was on a bus that had to be diverted the driver was relatively new so didn't know how to get around the problem so the passengers had to tell him what roads to drive down to get from leyton to stratford.
Today on the news my local lea bridge road at bakers arms had cornded the area off mo clues as to why or how long and hour later I noticed that still few cars and no buses. A week ago someone asked in teh local aldi why they didn;lt have certain things in stoke with emptpy shelelves the reason was they were doing something with the road and had closed it off for 2-3 days and aldi couldn't get delivery through.
Another time I was waiyting for an MFI delivery in teh next hour put they called back saing it could be a couple of hopurs or more as the nortth cicular had been shut off, I cecked the news and there was something happening.
Not sure what happens if you're a delivery driver and get caught up like this.

If it wasn’t fucked by design, the satnav would allow for that road closure.
On Monday, 9 July 2018 22:08:02 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

so

ton

he

ey

ad closure.
Yes they do, the app. said the road was closed and thats how the large lor ry knew it couldn't get to the store. The buses were diverted too the road was up.
On 09/07/2018 16:57, whisky-dave wrote:

Last year, my eldest son was on the bus coming home from school and a road was closed due to flooding. I could have easily directed the driver using only main roads that are parts of bus routes and he wouldn't have had to miss out a single stop. He could also have told the kids; my son could then have told me; and I could have told him to walk along the closed road (the closures are always due to very high flows pressing against the bridge and it closes to vehicles, but not pedestrians). Instead, without telling anyone, the driver changed direction, went onto the motorway and drove to the terminus at the Trafford Centre and abandoned a bus-load of kids who then had no way to get home as the buses weren't running!
The other day, the same road was closed due to an accident and I had to leave work early in case the same thing happened. The road actually re-opened at the last minute and the bus didn't have to divert.
SteveW

Not surprising if he just does what the GPS tells him to do.
On 09/07/2018 16:00, GB wrote:

And the correct answer is "In less than 60 minutes"
--
Adam

The reason he's given you a range rather than been more specific is because of a range of factors which may have a significant impact on his arrival time of which he has no immediate knowledge and over which he has no control.
Or to put it more bluntly. If he gave a more specific time and missed it then around 90% of his customers which may or may not include you yourself, would be moaning their heads off.

His actual location - given he's up to an hour away, assuming its actually anything more meaningful than "somewhere between junctions 25 and 26", in a country lane with yellow stuff growing in the fields, or "some suburb or other in Birmingham" is irrelevant, for the reasons already given.
In addition unless you have intimate knowledge of likely traffic conditions 24/7 of anywhere within one hours driving time of your house in any direction, its not immediately obvious what possible use such information could possibly be to you.
Maybe a bit more understanding of modern traffic conditions, possibly in areas other than where you happen to live, rather than of apprentices might be more useful in such situations.
Give people an inch, etc etc.
michael adams

On 10/07/2018 08:19, michael adams wrote:

I had one DPD delivery driver (they give a time slot of one hour, but with very precise start and end times) ask me if I would accept delivery because he was two minutes early.

Colin Bignell

The Sainsbury grocery delivery drivers do that too.
--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:56:27 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

And Ocado. They are allowed to be up to 15 minutes early, otherwise they give us a ring. Likewise (apologetically) if they are late. Once the guy was four hours late, but that was a miracle since there was a blizzard at the time.
On 11/07/2018 10:32, Bob Eager wrote:

Sainsbury's aren't good in the snow. They failed to deliver our xmas order because it was snowing, they said it was too difficult and they finished three hours early. I said "rubbish I was out delivering drugs (insulin and pain relief) to people for four hours after they stopped and had no problems at all" and it was true. It was in the worst car possible in the snow too a bloody automatic smart car.