Boots v Screwfix

How is it I can get about 20 assorted items from Screwfix in a few minutes - yet a prescription in Boots at our Hospital - which involves reaching a couple of items off a shelf takes at least 40 mins?
On 09/07/2018 16:02, DerbyBorn wrote:

How many times have they given you the wrong item at screwfix? Did it do you any harm when you got the wrong item?
That is because screws are not normally to be taken internally and they have to be sure you are not going to die before you leave? Brian
--
----- --
On 09/07/2018 16:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

everythings is barcoded these days. Screws, pills are just another cardboard box that the computer identifies.
The days when pharmacists actually made up preparations using their knowledge of chemistry and pharma are longgggg gone.
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 20:42:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

They seem to have an important role in second guessing the doc's prescriptions these days.
On 09/07/2018 22:54, mechanic wrote:

My GP prints prescriptions on a laser printer in the consulting room, so the days of unreadable handwriting should be a thing of the past.
On 13/07/2018 14:25, Andrew wrote:

+1 I haven't seen a handwritten prescription in 15+ years _BUT_ I think that the second guessing may be more to do with the combination of drugs etc. on a prescription being questioned. These days my doctor(s) seem to have on their computer screens a list of drugs they can prescribe for the condition they have diagnosed, combinations that are OK and warnings about other combinations.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 09:27:45 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

I have, but it was from a dentist. Presumably he doesn't have prescription issuing software as he writes so few.
Owain
DerbyBorn wrote:

One is picked by someone fractionally above minimum wage, where if something is wrong they will shrug and sort it out later.
The other picked and inspected by someone with a masters degree who is legally responsible for ensuring the correct prescription is dispensed.
On 09/07/2018 16:23, Andy Burns wrote:

One (screwfix) is getting money from the purchase, so good service. The other (NHS) its costing them money so poor service.
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:23:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

involves

And the second is also double checked by another qualified pharmacist.
--
Cheers
Dave.

There cannot be many pharmacies with two pharmacists.

So why can't a foolproof system be put in where cassettes of pill boxes - tamperproof and direct from manufacturer - can be loaded into a machine and issued in response to a machine readable prescription?

one reason is that manufacturers boxed quantities don't fit with what your doctor prescribes.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 10/07/2018 20:05, charles wrote:

I watch the pharmacists at work, and they check that the quantities in each box are correct, because they sometimes take part-boxes to satisfy a prescription.
On 10/07/2018 20:23, GB wrote:

I was in a pharmacy today and they wouldn't dispense a drug as it was twice the normal dose for a child. They were going to phone the doctor to check first.
When did screwfix ever ring a builder if the nails were twice as long as needed?

But the pharmacist clearly doesn’t need to ring the doctor most of the time.
On 10/07/2018 22:25, dennis@home wrote:

Dumb comment. How would screwfix know what the nails are being used for ?.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:05:21 +0100, charles wrote:

And another is that there have to be cross checks - not just for prescription only medicatioon, but for anything else the patient may be taking.
On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 19:54:12 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

There's the problem qwhat is this foolproof system ? A box like a stations crips and chocloate dispenser being filled with all sorts of drugs somevery dangerous to others some very profitable for others. And these despensing machines will never be broken into ?

Why not supply knives in the same way ?