Boots v Screwfix

The check doesn't require 2 pharmacists. And in some it is done by the same person who dispensed.

Reply to
Robin

There's the problem qwhat is this foolproof system ? A box like a stations crips and chocloate dispenser being filled with all sorts of drugs somevery dangerous to others some very profitable for others. And these despensing machines will never be broken into ?

Why not supply knives in the same way ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

+1 Me too, same problem with Boots in BRI. Wife had to take her script from the dental hospital to the BRI. Different building, different road. Not allowed to take it to any branch of Boots or any other chemist. The people "running" the NHS haven't a clue.
Reply to
Me

whisky-dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I was meaning the dispensing machine would be in the Pharmacy - but the supply would not be tampered with and a Quality Assurance system would ensure the right items were issued. POKA YOKE -- Make it foolproof - uniques sized boxes for example. I am talking of the 80% common things. Then the parmacists could devote time to the irregular stuff as the routine stuff would be more automated.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Small pharmacies may only have one on duty at a time but they need more than one to cover six day opening unless you want a sleepy pharmacist dispensing drugs.

Larger ones may have two or more on duty to cope with the checking required.

The actual drugs can be dispensed by a trained dispenser but have to be checked by a pharmacist.

With the exception of some drugs that are kept in the safe.

Reply to
dennis

My GP prints prescriptions on a laser printer in the consulting room, so the days of unreadable handwriting should be a thing of the past.

Reply to
Andrew

Dumb comment. How would screwfix know what the nails are being used for ?.

Reply to
Andrew

+1 I haven't seen a handwritten prescription in 15+ years _BUT_ I think that the second guessing may be more to do with the combination of drugs etc. on a prescription being questioned. These days my doctor(s) seem to have on their computer screens a list of drugs they can prescribe for the condition they have diagnosed, combinations that are OK and warnings about other combinations.
Reply to
alan_m

I have, but it was from a dentist. Presumably he doesn't have prescription issuing software as he writes so few.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quite amusing, really. Set up online as a way to defeat the tyranny of the sheds, then sell out to Kingfisher, finally start opening more stores. I guess there's a lot of clever stuff hidden in the background, with managing stock control and distribution. And of course a slick web site helps.

Reply to
newshound

I think Screwfix started before on-line selling came into being. They were a mail order catalogue company.

Reply to
charles

Quite right, it turns out

although I only came across them when they came online. I'd been using Woodfit for mail order for quite some time prior to that.

Reply to
newshound

It's almost next to B&Q. But it's much less likely (not impossible) for one to end up with a previously opened package with bits missing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is a small chemist near me, walk in, hand over the script, 40 seconds later walk out. There is another chemists and if they get an electronic pr escription from the doctor seldom have prepared it in advance meaning there is a song and dance while it is prepared. There has to be checks, but there is inefficiency at the chemist end too.

Reply to
misterroy

That depends on the hours the chemist is open. The one in town keeps normal hours ie 9 to 5 ish with early closing Tuesday.

There is A.N.Other in the place most of the time so that'll cover the "two person check" requirement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice