Gas shortage UK

LNG would be better, since you could refuel at home off your home gas pipeline and not pay excessive fuel duty.

I want an electric car so I pay no fuel duty. But they are prohibitively expensive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And also you have no idea how big a gallon is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Americans can't seem to make efficient engines, no idea why.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Shouldn't change the annual mileage of a lorry. We just get more trips in per day.

Our country would be fine if we had a sensible population density.

65 miles each way, if there's snow. The mountains here are pitifully small. Our highest is 7.5 times smaller than Everest. I wonder if anyone's skied down Everest? That would be fun! Yip, 4 hour descent!
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The runs are probably not well groomed.

You can ski about 4000 vertical feet non-stop at Aspen Highlands. I think I actually managed to do that once.

Sugar Bowl is about 1500 vf, more suited to my current ambitions.

The Ski Area Formerly Known As Squaw Valley is 2850 vf, if you can manage to not be collided with by some yahoo from Texas.

Reply to
John Larkin

Nevis is 4000 feet, but the only proper ski runs with lifts are a neighbouring mountain. 3400 feet in one go (up a few button lifts, then ski from the summit down to the car park).

's a lift missing on that map from the top of Alpha Button to the bottom of Summit Button.

on your browser, you should get a red marker at the summit of Aonach Mor (yeah we got stupid Gaelic names) and a green marker at the car park.

I get funny looks when I ski shirtless. I'm probably on the net somewhere, since I've seen video cameras out. I know someone filmed me in a tartan thong which I did for a laugh at someone's request.

ROTFPMSL! I've never met a Texan.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They buy expensive skis and outfits and fall off chair lifts.

Here's Sugar Bowl. I get a season pass every year.

It's more of a local place than the monsters like Squaw and Northstar. One of the runs is called Pacific Crest Trail because it is. One peak is Mt Disney because Walt was one of the original investors. So it's a Mickey Mouse ski area.

The prevailing wind off the ocean rises and peaks just about there. In a good year they get 80 feet of snow. One year we skiied on the 4th of July.

John Larkin

Sounds like they're fun to watch.

Jesus what's with the regulations?

Pah, I prefer it when they're cold.

Commander Kinsey

Except the one that whacked me in the calf with a snowboard.

Uphill? Do people ski uphill?

It's fun to soak in a nice hot tub and let your hair freeze.

If I go on some passive vacation, I'll think about electronics all the time. I can ski from 9AM to 4PM with just a couple of breaks, up in the gorgeous mountains, and basically not think much at all. Then when I'm done I'm too tired to think.

Skiing has actually taught me a lot. About trusting your body and your instincts, about hesitation and commitment, about dynamics.

Reply to
John Larkin

The Dutch and English Mars landers were much better.

Reply to
John Larkin

Is it true all snowboarders go shirtless? I detest people wrapping up warm in the snow, it's pathetic.

People too mean to pay for the skilift?

Sissy.

Indeed. Best to do everything subconsciously. Trying to calculate things takes too long and you come across things you didn't expect. Same goes for driving.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is that legal?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Nov 2022 21:23:38 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, the Dutch and English once ruled the world like the US now think it does. History has the habit of repeating itself. There is a lesson to learn from that.

From a Darwinian POV I see it as one ant heap against the other, may the best one win.

The next species ? What will it look like? Flies and mosquitos seem to be doing quite well here too.

One could predict that by the time US lands people on mars they will have to pay landing rights to China and eat in nice Chinese restaurants. Used to live next to one, we went to eat there many many times.' Not sure they will except dollars on mars.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not here they don't. They still fall for UV light and 2000 volts.

And rodents fall for peanut butter and 8000 volts.

Remove the word in *s and see how it reads.

You ate there and actually chose to go back?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

LNG is not LPG.

LPG is derived from the lighter fractions of crude oil - methane, butane, pentane etc.

LNG is derived from unrefined natural gas. Overwhelmingly methane IIRC

The fact that you think they are the same is merely a testament to ignorance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I generally drive at leats 1000 miles to avoid a ski weekend. Fortunately, they happen in other countries *shudder*

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Side walk" "Horse back riding" (Usually just "riding" if you at all horsey.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Coal gas is a mixture of methane, water gas (CO and H2) and air gas (CO and N2). Or methane and producer gas (CO, H2 and N2).

If you are "of a certain age" you learn that in school chemistry.

Reply to
Max Demian

And I've covered pretty much every corner of the state, there is so much to see and experience. Well, I haven't yet been east of of the Imperial valley - gotta save something for retirement.

What gave you the impression that I live in the UK? The point of my post is that one cannot 'compare' petrol/gasoline cost in the US vs. the UK without factoring in all relevent data.

For those in the UK, they take high-speed rail through the Chunnel to the Alps. Easy as pie.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

There is no high speed rail thru the chunnel, and most fly to the alps.

Reply to
farter