Gas shortage UK

We have bigger brains so we can cope with longer words. And we don't say stupid things like "seeing eye dog".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I did sometimes wonder about US service stations on freeways advertising the mythical "Water Gas Phone".

Water gas being one of the old crude ways of making town's gas from coke in the UK at gas works before the modern era of natural gas.

The idea of a water gas powered phone has bemused many a Brit.

PS If you think UK English is bad try French - invariably >50% longer text.

Reply to
Martin Brown

So coal gas then, which would be a better way of describing it. You can't make gas from water, if you could, we'd have an infinite energy source.

Don't encourage the Merkins to call us posh. You could have just said confused.

They have far less words (no I won't write fewer, since there isn't a word severaler), so they have to use more of them. Or use ours - "le weekend", "le fast food".

I like German, you can just create huge words to mean anything.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I thought it was any machinery. As in a combine harvester, a car, etc. Refridgeration is machinery.

So they go against their own customs to please the morons in power?

That's illogical and sounds like cheating, like a Jew I know who sets timers for Sunday so he doesn't have to go to the trouble and energy of pushing that really heavy lightswitch.

So this refridgeration is ok as long as they hire a non-Amish bloke to press the power button? I'd love to have that job....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Like they say, it's complicated. There isn't an Amish pope so each colony has their own rules. One Indiana colony split over whether rubber tires on a buggy were the work of the Devil.

I loaded furniture at a plant that was was staffed, if not owned, by Amish. The machinery was modern but when I had to go to another warehouse the guy loading the truck wouldn't ride over, but galloped across the fields to meet me there.

Besides furniture, quite a few mid-west RV factories employ Amish.

It's disconcerting to see a guy in the traditional clothing and beard smoking a cigarette and drinking a can of Coke or a bottle of beer for that matter. In many ways they're a lot more liberal than some of the tight-assed Protestant sects derived from Calvinism.

Reply to
rbowman

No, it would be an LPG powered car. Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

Seems to have confused you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't be an obnoxious jerk. Nobody likes jerks.

In the USA we have clearly labeled cars and trucks: LNG and CNG. Both natural gas, mostly methane. The cars can ride in commute lanes with just the driver onboard.

LPG usually means propane. Some forklifts run on propane, as do rural homes without piped gas (ie, NG) service. It's expensive.

I recall rural cabins with underground butane tanks.

Reply to
John Larkin

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Nov 2022 06:50:05 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Look Mr Larkin I had a LPG car for many many years Reason: LPG was, when I bought it, a lot cheaper than gas or diesel. That changed over the years as government here started taxing it more and more. Anyways it is stored in liquid form in a pressurized tank in the car. Liquified Petrolium Gas Mine had a selection button: petrol or LPG, so also a normal fuel tank. Lots of people who did drive many km used LPG. Nothing rare about it, most fuel station have it here. You could also add LPG to an existing petrol car by just buying some conversion set. When I did away with it I think I had about 250,000 km on the counter.

USA? Never heard about it, did not its states fall apart in 2022 after the midterms?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

UK petrol costs twice as much as US gasoline. Taxes often drive usage.

Reply to
Frank

We drive miles, and we call it LNG.

Next time an empire wants to rule Europe, we'll let them have it.

Reply to
John Larkin

Given that, they deserve different names.

Reply to
John Larkin

Does not matter what you call it, what is it? LPG and LNG are different things. Call it what it is. Both have been used in automobiles.

Facts matter Some very common questions for those new to LNG – “what is LNG? Is it propane or LPG?”

The answer is “no” and here is a brief explanation:

LPG is short for Liquified Petroleum Gas. LPG can be Propane, Butane isobutane and can be a mixture of these gasses. In the United States, LPG is thought of as propane but while propane is a LPG, not all LPG is propane.

LPG comes from two sources. One is natural gas processing and the other is during the refining process. LPG can be liquefied by being cooled and pressurized and shipped via, truck, pipeline rail and ship.

LNG is short for Liquefied Natural Gas. Natural gas is a naturally occurring hydrocarbon gas mostly consisting largely of methane. It is extracted during natural gas drilling and petroleum production. LNG is natural gas that has been cooled to a liquid state at -260°. Natural gas is plentiful in the United Sates and the U.S is the world leader in Natural Gas production.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The UK petrol/diesel fleet gets almost twice the fleetwide MPG as the corresponding US fleet, and they drive on average only a third of the annual miles compared with those in the US. UK public transit is far superior than that available in the US. The longest straight-line road-trip in the UI is from Land's End to John 'o Groats, 603 miles (814 by vehicle).

Comparing UK prices to US prices for fuel isn't particularly useful.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The only one with any possibility of doing that is Russia and NATO won't let that happen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We have a giant country. 2600 miles from San Francisco to Manhattan. Just California is over 800 miles long.

In your tiny old country, you can't drive very far.

We drive about 190 miles each way for a ski weekend. How far do you drive for a ski weekend?

Reply to
John Larkin

In the US, CNG and LNG cars are fueled with natural gas. One of my employees drives a CNG car. LNG is cryo stuff.

LPG is sometimes called Autogas, and is a mixture of propane and butane, liquid at room temp under reasonable pressure. We also use that for blowtorches and BBQs and such.

Reply to
John Larkin

Much further, there is no viable skiing in that soggy little frigid tiny island.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And I changed back to petrol since it broke two engines, it burns too hot.

Liquefied Propane Gas. Tells you what's in it.

Which required a lubricant, which always failed then the engine buckled.

I've never had a vehicle go over 200K km.

There's nothing United about it. No state agrees with any other state.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No wonder I broke two engines if they sold me random gases.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No I won't turn my adblocker off, use a decent site please.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey