Gas shortage UK

It's easy enough. While I drive a pretty average milage now, I used to drive all the time, both for work and privately. My peak was almost

20,000 miles of private use (friends spread over the country and a couple of European trips) and 37,000 miles of business use (in the office around Manchester one day, client site in Portsmouth the next, Kilmarnock 2 days later), in a year. I got a new company car and put 1,200 miles on it in the first week.
Reply to
SteveW

simply run a lot of miles per year. a volvo should do 15 years and at

18,000 miles per year thats about what it takes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or take the car ferry from the UK to Bilbao, Calais or Dieppe once or twice a year.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I was questioning the driving habits in the UK, rather than the math. You could drop the entire area into the eastern part of this state and only the prairie dogs would notice. In the US high mileage vehicles are associated with the western states where dinner in the next town may involve 200 miles RT except for business vehicles.

Reply to
rbowman

I was crap at anything athletic at school. My first problem was having a birthday late in the year; and I was small for my age. I avoided it like the plague.

When they got to about 16 everyone else stopped growing.

I went on a summer camp after I'd finished school, and there was an orienteering competition. Which if you don't know is a cross-country run with a map. I came second. Then had to explain that yes, I knew I was that fit, but no, I did not want to spend my Saturdays representing the school, I wanted to go sailing instead.

I still go sailing 40-odd years later. It's a complicated sport which has kept my interest, and at small boat level not as expensive as people think. Not as expensive as for example going to away matches with your local football team.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I loved badminton, pirates and murder ball. Pirates involved one person having to tig the rest of the class, with all the gym equipment out and no-one allowed to touch the floor. Murder ball was the best, one mat at each end of the gym, a medicine ball in the middle, the class split in two and each half had to get the ball onto the opposing teams mat ... there were *NO* other rules. The latter two were banned by the council, but we still did them at the end of each term.

I played badminton most lunchtimes for years.

Unfortunately, the school was only interested in football - to the extent that when the pitch was frozen solid and we were at risk of injury, they kept those on the school team in the gym to keep them fit for the weekend's match and made the rest of us do football outside!

The result was that I pretty well loathed PE and was very glad when, for

18 months or so, I had ingrowing toenails and could not do sport. The PE teacher used to send all those unfit for sport out picking litter from around the pitch, but I could not do that, as bending down put weight right on my toes. I took great delight in telling him that I could not do so, why and that "I was going to go over to the Engineering workshop and do something *USEFUL*."
Reply to
SteveW

Indeed. Central Scotland to South England (me to my Aunt's house) is 460 miles, so almost 1K miles round trip.

And lo and behold, that Volvo went right round France.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't think I have any. I can hear voices but I think it's just blood going through my ears with too much wax, the voices are not intelligible.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't see any ugly ones, but I do see plain ones. BMW for instance all look the f****ng same.

Then why are you so obsessed with looks?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Those 4 look ok to me. Top left and bottom right are beautiful, the other two are perfectly fine.

Same company. Same car really.

That one does look ridiculous. In fact it's so square you'd think it lacked aerodynamics and would fail the health and softy test for ramming pedestrians.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are they still making petrol cars?

Why did you delete two thirds of the newsgroups?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

By my calculations, if you take care of it, you could run an electric vehicle for 630,000 miles, then only have to buy a new battery which is $6000.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh, one of those. You lot are fun to beat up.

Scuba diving is more fun. Another world under there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I shall be going skiing. I have two feet, I prefer one device for each. People don't understand me not wearing a shirt in winter though.

My school concentrated too much on ball games. I'm not co-ordinated enough to be good at those (although my reaction speed is apparently 3 times faster than average), and they're boring.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And sharks.

Reply to
farter

John Larkin

Trump owns Apple?

We're giving everyone $5000 this year, but we call it Christmas. I hope nobody has a heart attack.

Reply to
John Larkin

Of course. Everything goes through our payroll service, who does all the deductions and pays the many taxes. I'd get a check for about half the amount, so I elected to skip it.

Reply to
John Larkin

Foxconn, no wonder Apple products are shit. I've had the misfortune to use Foxconn PC motherboards. Utter rubbish in every way.

So this riot, all over people worrying about a little virus, pathetic. I've taken no vaccine, I've worn no mask, yet I'm still here, so is everyone I know that caught it (pre-vaccine). Some of those caught it after the vaccine too, and.... had the same symptoms precisely.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

All tax is theft.

Reply to