Ice Maker problem - never seen before

I have the standard modular ice maker for my amana fridge. A few months ago the ice cubes started getting smaller and smaller and finally it just stopped making ice all together. I tested all the points with a meter and all seemed fine. Everything works except it does not fill with water. I checked the fill tube for blockage and the solenoid. Here is the kicker. If I short test points L and V the solenoid activates and the ice tray fills. Then it freezes and dumps the ice. Except again, at the 11 O'clock position, no water. So I figured I had a bad thermostat and went ahead and bought an entire new ice maker. Installed it and I have the exact same problem. With the new maker I can fill the tray manually by shorting L&V for 7 seconds which fills the tray. Any ideas? TIA.

Reply to
Lawrence Borne

Without a wiring diagram I don't know what L and V are. Where do those wires go and what circuit is being completed would be one place to start.

The other is that both the old ice maker and the new one are doing the same thing. The only thing the basic ice maker needs to work are AC and water. Since shorting L to V results in the tray filling with water, that would seem to rule out a bad water valve and the unit is obviously getting AC.

The only last logical possibility would seem to be that L and V could go to some other sensor, switch, etc that is not part of the ice maker unit itself and that is blocking operation. So, where do L and V go?

Reply to
trader4

L&V are standard points on all modular ice makers. They energize the solenoid valve. Figuring it was the solenoid, I ordered one of those too. However, the fact that water was coming out when energized made me think there was no problem. I replaced the solenoid just now and will see if that fixes it. Can't be anything else. The fact that the ice got smaller and smaller means it is probably a solenoid that is getting clogged or leaking water and allowing the fill tube to clog.

Reply to
Lawrence Borne

Could the icemaker maybe think the tank is full of ice and that is why you are having a proble? Have you tested whatever it is that sense the ice cube level??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Been there done that. It's the solenoid-operated water valve.

Reply to
Ron