Never seen before Weeds in Lawn

For the last 12-18months i've been getting really odd weeds that has taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it up that i shall need to sort out a new one.

I've never seen it before, and they are only growing in the lawn not flower beds.

It is like roots of a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but they go straight down about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and carrys on to god knows how far.

I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while little shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like things.

I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all down due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes.

Just wanted a rough idea to google search and get an idea what i'm dealing with.

I'd really appreciate any help Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Dromore

Have you or your neighbor cut down any trees in the past year? Do any neighbors have plantings of bamboo?

That's the best I can do with wild speculation.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

d weeds that has >taken over my lawn and in fact now, has badly messed it u= p that i shall >need to sort out a new one. >I've never seen it before, and= they are only growing in the lawn not >flower beds. > >It is like roots of= a tree growing up. I've tried digging them out, but >they go straight down= about a foot and then shoot off sidewards and >carrys on to god knows how = far. >I notice the ground comes up in a large hill then after a while littl= e >shoots like spikes come up and they lead to these brown root like >thing= s. > >I shall take some photos in a week or so as i have smashed them all d= own >due to the dog hurting her paws on the spikes. >Just wanted a rough id= ea to google search and get an idea what i'm >dealing with. Have you or you= r neighbor cut down any trees in the past year? Do any neighbors have plant= ings of bamboo? That's the best I can do with wild speculation. -- Pat in P= lymouth MI "Yes, swooping is bad." email valid but not regularly monitored

I think it was you that was good help for me in identifying Japanese switch= grass when I posted a picture. Anxious to see if he posts one. I google that there is a marsh grass called spike grass. Don't know why it= would grow in a lawn. If it would keep animals off my lawn, I might like s= ome ;)

Reply to
Frank