Well I've never seen that before....

Yes, that tumble dryer is actually on and running.

Mr Macaw

"Mr Macaw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

Not a totally bad idea - but would need to be weatherproofed. Better than in the kitchen.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Mr Macaw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

Pity we don't have basements in the UK for boiler, washer, etc.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I dunno if it lived there permanently. If it didn't, it seems a lot of hassle to cart it out to use it. Maybe they just bought it 2nd hand and were testing it?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

There's so much water in the UK, you wouldn't need a washing machine in there :-)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

So - he's venting the damp exhaust air ... into the kitchen? Novel.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh I see what you mean. No I think that black pipe behind it is a drain (not sure where from, it seems to be coming from under the stairs, judging by the windows going up diagonally). Presumably the exhaust air goes outside with no hose.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Well yes and no. My sisters previous designer built German house did. Which was FINE, until the sewage pump the council had installed, failed, and everyone's basement ended up 3 foot deep in sewage.

Saniflo is one thing, but when you have a German Municipal saniflo, boy, its a bit more serious.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

Just goes to prove that being in Europe will get you in deep shit.

Reply to
Jonno

They installed ONE pump without a backup? Such things should be like servers. Redundancy! Or an alarm or something!

Someone half a mile from me lives at the bottom of a hill. She doesn't have a basement, but she dies have her sewage pumped up to the main road. It's a privately owned pump, the council have nothing to do with it. It does jam up every so often (twice a year I think), and the local handyman goes and clears it and/or replaces bearings (not a job I'd like to do). But AFAIK, the sewage collects in a tank, so presumably there is some way of telling that it's filled up and needs sorting, before it overflows everywhere. I've never heard of a mess needing to be cleared up.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Yes, seen the same problem in a US basement. Took weeks to refurbish.

Reply to
Capitol

Surely one way valves and alarms and redundant pumps could avoid such a thing. Very poor design.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Exactly. Sounds like one more compelling reason to vote "No" to me.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I do that myself with the dishwasher except that the area outside that its in has a 6' deep eave. Its done that way because I got the dishwasher at a garage sale and wanted to be sure it was working properly before I installed it in the kitchen. It's not a trivial exercise to move into the kitchen instead of the current one which likely just has a scaled up inlet water solenoid and the massive great vertical freezer half blocks the big patio door at that end of the kitchen, so its none trivial to get it into the kitchen because there is no way to slide the freezer back so it doesn't half block the door.

Currently running on a garden hose to the water tap in the garden.

Works fine, so it will likely be a while before it ends up in the kitchen.

Reply to
Hilo Black

I think the referendum will be phrased so that No will give you the answer you don't want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You previously claimed that there would be no referendum.

Reply to
Blanco

Looks ok to me I used to use a washing machine in a similar situation.

Reply to
F Murtz

Use a tent perhaps? Brian

Reply to