And now I've seen it all ...

Yes, I know I've had a bitch on here before about DIY headlight repairs, but I swear it's getting worse year on year. Since the evenings have got dark again, I've been blinded from the front and dazzled from the rear so many times that I've lost count. This is either because headlight bulbs have been fitted incorrectly, or the cretins behind the wheel don't know what the blue light on the dash means ...
On top of this, on more than one occasion, I've almost run into the back of a motorbike that's turned out to be a car with the offside tail light out.
Today, I had to drive to another town some thirty miles away, and for most of the time it was more or less foggy. At least one in three cars was not showing any lights. I think I saw about two that were actually using their rear fog lights. Funny how drivers always manage to find the tiresome things on a dark wet night when they are guaranteed to dazzle you, but never have them on when it's full daylight and thick fog !
Anyway, on the return trip, as I passed the main county police headquarters, a law car pulled out behind me. It had one headlight pointing into the ditch, and the other up into my rearview mirror. If it's now reached the point where even the coppers can't keep their own vehicles legal, we might as well all give up ...
DIY headlight bulb replacement should be banned. You ought to have to take your car to approved garages where there is someone trained and certified to change the wretched things correctly >:-(
Rant over ...
Arfa

In many cars nowadays, the headlamps are not user replaceable because you have to remove other parts of the engine to get to them. That maybe why so many cars now drive with a headlamp out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

The problem is not the replacing of bulbs. It is the soft suspension of modern cars neccesitating headlight adjusters that work from the dashboard which some people don't bother with.
In message
snip

Or rather they get adjusted *full up* and never put back.
SiL complains of poor night vision and usually sets his dipped beam to high.
Night light dazzle can be an age/eyesight problem.
Concur on the dark evenings equals faulty lights syndrome. Does this mean number plate recognition systems only work in daylight? Otherwise it would seem a low cost fix: automated letter through post followed by a penalty ticket if not put right.
--
Tim Lamb

Isn't 'full up' meant to be the default, with switched departures from the 'zero' position all being progressively further degrees of dipping to compensate for increased loading in the rear? The headlights should be manually adjusted (and hopefully MOT'd) with the setting at zero (or highest) so that they can't dazzle due to switch setting error alone.

Static ones are certainly illuminated with IR floods and you get the plate lighting up with the on axis reflection, just like cats eyes. Don't know about the mobile ones but it would be a bit of an omission if they didn't have them too.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

I recently fitted an ANPR camera for a customer, attached to their CCTV system. They are amazing, even in bright sunlight there is next to no image. As you say they have IR illumination and this is reflected back from the number plate. The effect is outstanding, the filter in front of the camera basically only allows the IR frequency of light through and the number plate shows perfectly, day or night. The mobile ones do appear to have IR illuminators too.
--
Bill

What about muddy ones or in fog? And was the customer hooked into the database?
--
Tim

good question, I'm looking at it again next week, I'll review the recordings and see how it coped. probably badly :-) Fog wouldn't be a problem as I'm only looking at plates about 5m away and if it was that thick then no one would be out and about anyway, I don't think there has been any fog locally to check against though.
Database? This set up is only for video recording of the plates, to be reviewed when they have an incident rather than a computer record being kept. Although it is the same camera for both systems.

--
Bill

On 25/11/2012 15:54, Bill wrote:

Interestingly, the Police ANPR cameras log every single number plate & only flag up the ones without tax etc.
All the others are kept on a database. When looking for a local scrote to arrest for not turning up at court, they interrogate the database for his car reg & look for patterns of travel.
Once a pattern is established - they just wait in the right place.

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Took the kids to LegoLand (Windsor) this summer. One day, there was an ANPR inside the entrance logging everyone. I thought that was bloody off.
Not sure if that part of the road was Legoland property (even more off) or not.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:33:48 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Many car parks now have ANPR cameras on entrance and exit. Stay more than the X free hours allowed and they send the registered keeper a parking notice.
Have a closer look at the signage at any of your large supermarkets... Saves the contracted parking company having to pay a man to walk around with a note book and it'll get *every one* who overstays.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

At the Aldi here you have to type your reg number into a terminal near the tills, otherwise you get charged regardless of how long you stay.

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:06:01 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Would be a major put off for me as well. The car park next to Waitrose in Hexham is all Council Pay and Display, don't go there often but just over the road is a big Tesco car park, 3 hrs free... Then there is the parking arrangements for the "new" Sainsbury's in Penrith. There is open air Pay and Display and a multi-storey. You obvioulsy have to cough up in advance in the PnD but the multi-storey, I think is pay on exit with free parking if you spend over X in the Sainsbury's but how you get your free parking I don't know. I never pay for parking unless there is no option, most parking around here is free...
--
Cheers
Dave.

+1
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 38th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3178
"I saw Lon Cheney walking with the Queen."
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:55:20 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Prat, what don't you under stand about "token"? It's a disc with a hole in it and clip that has ring to attach it to a key ring.
http://onestop-key-rings.co.uk/images/trolley-key-ring.jpg
Doesn't help when you send daughter off to return trolley and she doesn't retrive the token and as I generally avoid stores that have this stupid system forget to ask for it back...
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:24:39 -0000, Dave Liquorice

I assumed the connection to the rest of the keyring would be more permanent (like the standard keyring that removes your nail when you try to add a key).

I've got a pound coin in the car if I need it. But I tend to go to more customer friendly supermarkets.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If you can find one.
--
(\__/) M.
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:04:04 +0000, Mark wrote:

I'm trying to think of a grocery supermarket that requires trolley rent around here and I'm failing. Does B&Q come under "supermarket"?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Lots round here.