Fog lights MOT

Is it OK for rear fog lights to go off when the ignition is turned off?....
On 23/01/2020 12:04, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Yes.
They should only be used on certain types of road (plus other conditions), not for example in towns etc. Therefore you don't need them when the engine is off!

Is there actually any prohibition from using them on certain types of road. I though the only rule was the obvious one of "turn off rear fog lights when the following car is so close that it will be dazzled by them"? I tend to keep my rear fog lights on in fog if I can't see any lights behind me, and turn them off when I can see the headlights of the car behind (on the grounds that when I can see him, he is probably close enough to be dazzled by my fog lights).
Embarrassingly, I spent the whole of one journey religiously turning what I thought were my fog lights off and on depending on whether I could see anything behind me, only to discover at the end of my journey that I'd been turning on/off the adjacent switch - for my heated rear window ;-) That was on an old Mark II Golf where there were three rocker switches on the dashboard - one for fog lights, one for heated rear window and one for something else - unlike the modern trend of putting the fog light switches as a pull-out on the on-dashboard light switch (modern VWs) or as a collar on the light-switch stalk (most other cars I've driven).
On 23/01/2020 13:21, NY wrote:

Oh dear....

Rather than tutting, perhaps you'd like to point me to the exact regulations. OK, so I omitted to say "only use them when it's foggy", because I thought that was blindingly obvious, though many people seem to use them even when it's completely clear (not even light mist).
Is there something in the highway code about classes of road or its speed limit which regulates when they may or may not be used, despite thick fog, subject always to the "don't dazzle" rule.

They are very useful in daytime heavy rain too. Anywhere where they can be seen before the actual car itself on normal tail lights.
--
*Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.

On 23/01/2020 15:26, NY wrote:

excuse brian it is just the way he is ......
On 23/01/2020 18:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

He can't help pontificating, but really doesn't like being caught out.
And don't ask what happened to his 'Parking' crusade....
--
Spike

In the Climate Change belief system, only the future is certain,
On 24/01/2020 09:09, Spike wrote:

what happened brian? ....

Perhaps you should stop digging.
On 24/01/2020 00:06, Brian Reay wrote:

it's similarly not deserving of a substantive reply?
*"Why not in towns? I can't see anything in the Regulations or HC that distinguishes them from any other location."
--
Robin
On 24/01/2020 07:45, Robin wrote:

How would you know it was a town and not a large village?
--
Adam

On 24/01/2020 19:02, ARW wrote:

Villages have idiots
On 25/01/2020 10:14, Andrew wrote:

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is no fog?
I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the last 20 years.
How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?
--

Adam

Very rarely. But no different from those who put headlights on as soon as they see a cloud.
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

And those that put the fog lights on when there is a bit of mist.
--
Adam

On Saturday, 25 January 2020 13:29:53 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Many cars put their own lights on - just overcast at this time of year can be enough to trigger it.
My memory is that you are supposed to put your fog lights on when visibility is less than 100 metres - lots of people put them on when you it is indeed a bit foggy but you can easily see more than 100M - and then leave them on!

Auto headlights are crazy, they turn on when you drive through a slightly shaded area of trees, then off again after 5 seconds.
But the worst thing is the always on EU daytime running lights fiasco. First thing I do is to disconnect them. You don't needs lights to see something when the sun is out!

They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2 weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp post at arm's length.
--

Roger Hayter