my outdoor lights won't turn off

I think it's because the Cadmium-Sulfide (CdS) photocells in light-sensitive switches fluctuate in value over time and can go bad. The resistance of the cell goes up when the ambient light goes down and if the photocell is broken, it becomes a very high value resistor which basically looks to the control circuit in your photosensitive switch like it's always dark. The photocell itself is a $0.50 item but it's usually an integral part of the control switch. You may need to replace the switch unless you're familiar with soldering and electronics. The switch would run around $10 or less, not a terribly expensive item either.

It usually looks like a small box with a round window or a small cylinder connected to the light fixture with three wires. They also sell switches that screw into a normal light bulb socket, and then you screw the bulb into the socket on the switch itself - it may be an even easier repair if space in your light fixture allows it.

Every hardware store, most certainly big box stores sell all types of photosensitive switches.

Reply to
homeowners

i have outdoor lights that won't turn off. Ususally when it gets dark, the light comes on and around 6am or when daylight comes, the lights turn off.

Reply to
Paula
 The one I have is a round cylinder that protudes from a plate on the wall.  I will have to get an electrician or someone who's familiar with electronics to help me. thank you so much for your explanation and your help.
Reply to
Anonymous
 You are welcome! It shouldn't be a difficult repair. You just need a replacement switch and they would need to get to the box behind the wall plate to hook it up. Good luck!
Reply to
homeowners