light switch popped - now won't turn off

Was sitting here, minding my own business, and I hear a small pop/sizzle from the light switch and the overhead light came on. Now neither switch will make it go off. My main question is whether this is dangerous or whether I should cut the breaker to the whole room and not use this computer until an electrician gets here. I've never replaced a switch or plug, even though I'm not completely helpless around the house. It's Sunday, so any repairs are going to likely have to wait until tomorrow. Main question is whether I need to cut the power to the switch.

Reply to
TrialDog

Was sitting here, minding my own business, and I hear a small pop/sizzle from the light switch and the overhead light came on. Now neither switch will make it go off. My main question is whether this is dangerous or whether I should cut the breaker to the whole room and not use this computer until an electrician gets here. I've never replaced a switch or plug, even though I'm not completely helpless around the house. It's Sunday, so any repairs are going to likely have to wait until tomorrow. Main question is whether I need to cut the power to the switch.

Reply to
TrialDog

Short answer, yes, cut power to the switch.

Reply to
None

Never heard of that happening. I have no idea if there is a danger, but when you hear a pop and sizzle, not good. I'd turn off the breaker. Lights and receptacles are often on different breakers so you may be able to use the computer. Ot use an extension cord.

Switches are easy to replace, usually with just a screwdriver. Lowes is open today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes. Off is good. Pop, sizzle indicates something arcing/burning.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

"Need" is subjective somewhat but prudence would indicate "yes" for safety.

The switch has failed shorted; hence the other won't turn it off, either.

As others have said, you may find the lights and receptacles aren't on same breaker; you may find they are, but certainly having a failed switch permanently "on" is somewhat of a worry altho not highly likely of being an immediate fire hazard or you'd already have had issues long before now.

If there are two switches only, you need a 3-way switch; if there are three or more locations, then it's either a 3-way or 4-way depending on where is the feed location.

If you're up to giving it a go, do turn off the breaker (I'd do it anyway just for ease of mind) then open it up and see which you have. As another said, it's not terribly complicated but do need to know which you need. Whatever you do, make certain to mark terminals of "who's connected to whom" before you remove any wires...

Reply to
dpb

Some structures in the USA built during the late 60's contained aluminum wiring.

I have personally seen such aluminum wires at outlets and switches break and short to other contacts.

I have also seen copper wires break and very old switches and outlets fall apart in boxes.

Reply to
None

  1. CALL 911 - TELL THEM TO SEND THE FIRE DEPT. WITHOUT DELAY.
  2. GET YOUR FAMILY OUT OF THE HOUSE INCLUDING ALL PETS.
  3. SHUT OFF THE MAIN BREAKER IN YOUR HOUSE, AND CALL THE ELECTRIC COMPANY TO DISCONNECT THE POWER LINES GOING TO YOUR HOME. TELL THEM ITS AN EMERGENCY.
  4. CALL AN ELECTRICIAN THAT OFFERS EMERGENCY - WEEKEND SUPPORT. TELL THEM TO COME IMMEDIATELY, BUT IF THE HOME BEGINS TO BURN, YOU WILL CANCEL THEIR ARRIVAL BY PHONE.
  5. CONTACT RELATIVES TO SEE IF YOU CAN ARRANGE FOR A PLACE TO TEMPORARILY RELOCATE WHILE THE HOME IS BEING GUTTED TO REPLACE ALL WIRING AND CLEAN UP ANY FIRE DAMAGE. (IF IT DOES NOT BURN TO THE GROUND). IF YOU DO NOT HAVE NEARBY RELATIVES, RESERVE A LONG TERM STAY AT A MOTEL.
  6. CALL YOUR INSURANCE AGENT AND FILE A CLAIM.
  7. *DONT PANIC* HELP IS ON THE WAY.
Reply to
ralphwalters4