Driving in Oklahoma

You can get a $235.00 ticket for driving in the left lane in Oklahoma. Watch out.

Another money making idea to help finance law enforcement.

They have people sitting around thinking up was to take your money.

Reply to
mysterious traveler

On Sat 31 Mar 2018 08:24:38a, mysterious traveler told us...

Then why hav a left lane?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Any sane person knows the left lane is for passing and the mountains are for camping : ) It should be that way in ALL states

Reply to
ChairMan

Not much camping in Okiehoma then.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, I'm in favor of it. If you are in the left lane you should be doing over the speed limit and passing. I'm often in the left doing exactly that but will pull over if you want to go faster than me.

I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and often aggravated by some idiot in the left barely at the speed limit. OTOH, I've driven thousands of miles on the Autostrade in Italy and no one is in the left unless they are passing. They observe the rules. Driving in Italy is much more fun. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There's times when I get in the left lane early, to make a left turn, so I don't have to fight traffic getting near the turn.

If I wait until I get closer to the turn I often have to slow down a lot and wait for traffic to clear so I can get in the left lane.

$235.00 is going to be difficult for a lot of people to afford. The police should have given warnings for at least a month since it's a new law, but they loose too much revenue giving warnings.

Reply to
mysterious traveler

On Sat 31 Mar 2018 03:18:34p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Not so much in Rome.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

In Rome, did you ever find yourself being crapped on by millions of starling's flying overhead? That can ruin a paint job quick, or clothes.

Reply to
mysterious traveler

They used to charge by the axle to use the Will Rogers Expressway. It cost me as much to ride my 800 cc bike on it as it would for someone with a single axle dump truck or a Hummer.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's kind of a pain in arse. I live in Oklahoma and you can't speed so it might take 2 miles to pass the car going a couple of mph under the speed limit. Also new are the tag readers that send a ticket for not having auto insurance. That is the DA's offices doing it not the city, county sheriff or HP. Whatever, leave 10 minutes and don't drive without insurance and few hundred other things and you'll be fine. Teachers are taking the day off today and headed for the capitol. They want mo money. For the good of the kids of course.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Not sure exactly what you mean. You cannot speed in any state. If I go the the left lane to pass, I'm going 5 to 10 above the limit as my normal cruising speed. Sure, it the guy I'm passing is close to my speed it will take longer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was many years ago but I worked two summers as a toll collector on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. One of the reasons for the axle rule is to keep collectors honest on recording the transaction. If say, a motorcycle cost half as much as a car, the collector could punch in motorcycle for a car transaction and pocket half the transaction. We could also be docked the cost over maybe $10 if the axle count and button push did not correspond with the till. A 4 axle truck also cost 4 times the cost of a car. There was a toll sergeant often overseeing numbers that lit up as the collector could have counted it as 2 cars and took the extra cash.

Reply to
Frank

5mph over is usually just a warning, 10 mph over and ya pay the man.
Reply to
My 2 Cents

I'm unaware of any that do for multi-lane, but at least some states have rule that speed limit while overtaking on 2-lane road is 10 mph higher than posted, generally with a maximum cap.

It's stupid and unsafe to simply poke along at 1/2-mph faster than another vehicle imo; go ahead and make the pass and then revert regardless of what the rules are as long as not just totally reckless.

On many 2-lane roads if one held to the letter of the limit, one would _never_ have sufficient clear space to execute a pass.

OK hiways are some of the worst in the country; KS before our past governor started raiding the highway funds to cover his shortfalls elsewhere were some of the better; now "now so much" altho still noticeably better than OK.

Reply to
dpb

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

+1 been there
Reply to
Tekkie®

The last time I was there it was so foggy you couldn't see anything. I'd hiked up from the west side and since the trailhead parking lot was close to the tram terminal I said the hell with it and took the tram down. Unfortunately, you couldn't see anything until it broke out of the fog a little before the end of the line.

Reply to
rbowman

On 4/1/2018 1:42 PM, Oren wrote: ...

Hell, Lawton's "way back east and south"; the wind ain't near so bad back there...

Reply to
dpb

That explains it. It just seemed an odd way to do it. Driving around Chicago is a pain in the butt. One has to throw change into a collection machine every couple miles or so. It's maybe 50 or 75 cents at a time. The people at the turnpikes I've been on just hand out a ticket upon entering and then collect when exiting.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Save lives, ban toll booths:

rbowman

My summer job was over 50 years ago, way before exact change lanes and E-ZPass. All we had were toll collectors.

Reply to
Frank