Fog lights MOT

seen that on all those PFI audi's I think or fiddle wagons...good idea but badly executed.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

while they are working which they don't for long in the hostile car environment....one trick they can't do is demist the light unit with heat ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

stuff that ...you get more headcases on here...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

plus in 10 years or much less where are you going to get a replacement purpose made one of design led light unit for your latest super whizzz digital crap LED mobile ?....plus you have a few COB led arrays ...how many are going to die quite soon?......load of pish old fashioned bulbs in light units for me...stuff it all...I stupidly bought one last week and one of the four sides with two leds died within a week.....you waste your money to "keep up to date"..I'm not.....very long life span my arse.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

plus in 10 years or much less where are you going to get a replacement purpose made one of design led light unit for your latest super whizzz digital crap LED mobile ?....plus you have a few COB led arrays ...how many are going to die quite soon?......load of pish old fashioned bulbs in light units for me...stuff it all...I stupidly bought one last week and one of the four sides with two leds died within a week.....you waste your money to "keep up to date"..I'm not.....very long life span my arse.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

headcases like FMF amuse me...couldn't live without them.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Who knows. He's a dirty old goat.

Reply to
mm0fmf

But not enough to matter when moving off after stopping at a traffic queue.

Reply to
%

I do not see why it is "safe to assume" any such thing. I have driven in various parts of London (including within Westminster and the City) when there was fog dense enough to justify the use of rear fog lights.

In addition there is no "don't dazzle" rule as such. Rule 226 simply states:

"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236)."

Rule 236 is probably what you have in mind:

"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

But note that doesn't /forbid/ dazzling other road users. It admits the possibility that you will dazzle someone a metre behind you for the sake of them seeing you in time to stop a metre behind you.

The point is also explicit in the underling statute where regulation 27 forbids use of a rear fog lamp:

"Used so as to cause *undue* dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle." [emphasis added]

Reply to
Robin

This should only be done when headlights are on.

This shouldn't be done at all.

Neither should this; it's a serious distraction.

These should be dimmed when headlights on, otherwise not. My Triumph Stag did this in 1972 so nothing new there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Villages have idiots

Reply to
Andrew

My auto is a PDK (twin clutch) which uses a friction clutch rather than torque convertor. It is set to creep - to replicate a TC auto. If you use the handbrake, the creep function is still engaged. So when stopping at traffic lights etc I put it in park. No need for either foot or handbrake then. To avoid unnecessary wear on the clutch.

I did just once just use the handbrake and leave it in drive. Until getting stuck in a massive traffic jam last summer. On moving off, got quite bad clutch judder. So guessed it had overheated. Given the cost of a replacement transmission, moving the gearlever seems a small price to pay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thought you'd been driving for some time - but never heard of 'heel and toe' ? Operating both brake and accelerator simultaneously with the right foot?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That only refers to acuity under decent light conditions. It says nothing about how dazzle etc effects.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Are they the ones driving around with their fog lights on when there is no fog?

I drive around 40 to 50 thousand miles a year and have done so for the last 20 years.

How many times do you think in that time I have needed to use my fog lights to meet the required 100m visibility guide line?

Reply to
ARW

Very rarely. But no different from those who put headlights on as soon as they see a cloud.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't make fog like they used to. I've done about 30,000 miles a year from 1980 to 2010 and I really only recollect a couple of occasions when rear foglights weren't a positive nuisance. OTOH I remember 2 weeks of freezing fog in Leeds in the 1960s when you couldn't see a lamp post at arm's length.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

And those that put the fog lights on when there is a bit of mist.

Reply to
ARW

I'm surprised you did not in those 30 years meet falling snow which reduced visibility well below 100m. I did just while commuting 16 miles a day in London!

Reply to
Robin

Fark. I was considering a PDK for my next car. Fuck that.

Reply to
Ray