Fog lights MOT

Don?t even need to do that unless it?s a decent slope up hill.

Reply to
Ray

Many cars put their own lights on - just overcast at this time of year can be enough to trigger it.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

The indicator problem does not cause BMW divers any problems does it:-).

Reply to
ARW

I had a test drive in a BMW. I was driving about with the salesman in the passenger seat and he directed me to suitable roads for different styles of BMW driving. ( i.e. one road for being right up someone's arse, another for pulling out without indicating, another for using full beam and rear fogs in a city in daylight etc. usual BMW tricks.)

He told me to take a right turn and naturally I signalled right. I said "boy that's stiff, if it takes that much effort no wonder BMW drivers never indicate!" He did not seem to find that funny. I did.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I suppose I often had a bit of flexibility over travelling times, and we don't get so much snow in the West of the UK.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

ROTFL

Reply to
Brian Reay

My memory is that you are supposed to put your fog lights on when visibility is less than 100 metres - lots of people put them on when you it is indeed a bit foggy but you can easily see more than 100M - and then leave them on!

Reply to
Murmansk

Quite. Calling them fog lights is stupid. You're just as likely to have the same poor visibility due to heavy rain or snow. I'd say heavy rain far more common than fog these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Other than the above, it's brilliant. Although I've no experience of a TC transmission with the same number (7) of gears. Unlike the earlier single clutch (SMG) type boxes, it's smooth as silk when not in a rush. Quite difficult to tell when it changes gear - other than by the indicator.

I would add the clutch judder happened on a very hot summer's day in an usually bad traffic jam, due to an accident on a trunk road. And hasn't happened since.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Sure, but I am f***ed if I am going to fart around putting it out of drive every time I have to stop for long in traffic.

But you do take it out of drive most of the time now.

Reply to
Ray

Actually less effort than putting on the handbrake. I don't like having the brake lights on all the time I'm stopped. When you know you're going to be stopped for some time like at traffic lights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Sure, but I never do that. I do use the handbrake when starting off up a steep hill after stopping in traffic, instead of doing the alternative heal and toe approach, but never use the hand brake when when stopped in traffic. Always use it when parked.

I don?t care.

I don?t care and never find that I ease off on the brake pedal and find the car moving either.

I might turn the engine off and apply the handbrake when it a very long line of stopped traffic after a major accident that sees the road closed completely for hours but that?s so rare that its not worth considering.

Reply to
Ray

BMW British Motoring Winker (spelling of the last word?)

Reply to
Gareth Evans

Drove an automatic RR Evoque recently. Automatically prevented creep, automatically prevented roll back, automatically released brake when accelerator pressed. I think it would have wiped my a*** if only I could have found the right menu option. Driving is being de skilled.

Reply to
bert

Yes - my car does everything but the wipe. And stops/starts itself in traffic. :-)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

But being a Range Rover all those functions will soon fail or become intermittent and cost an arm, two legs and liver to repair.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Same here, and it's a Ford!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Worse, I had noticed the car was very sluggish on starting from stop in a hurry. Turns out the engine management system is programmed to wait until the handbrake is disengaged even when it was never engaged at all in the first place.

Trick is to keep left foot on the brake and gun the bitch and then it goes like a rocket...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You drive a manual at present? All autos creep on the level, unless the brakes are applied. My PDK works just fine provided you don't mind the brake lights being on all the time. It even has a hill hold feature. What it doesn't seem to like is the handbrake on and being in drive for long periods on a hot day. BTW, I left foot brake on an auto.

In which case it will be fine.

It only happened the once here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

How do you move off slowly if it prevents creep?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News