And now I've seen it all ...

How did you react to being told to FO ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

This sounds really ridiculous as I type it, but I've taken to driving in the dark wearing my prescription sunglasses. Even then I flick my eyes from side to side to avoid the same piece of retina going to sleep.

It could be because I only passed my test two years ago, but every time I fill up with petrol when it's dark I walk around the car and check all the lights. I passed my test two years and one week ago, so I'm no longer a probationary driver, so maybe I'll start getting slack and lazy now. ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

With mild disappointment that she didn't recognise the danger of serving around in a car with one working light.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which type of bulb can be fitted upside down if it matters? None I've seen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Tim Streater writes

good question, I'm looking at it again next week, I'll review the recordings and see how it coped. probably badly :-) Fog wouldn't be a problem as I'm only looking at plates about 5m away and if it was that thick then no one would be out and about anyway, I don't think there has been any fog locally to check against though.

Database? This set up is only for video recording of the plates, to be reviewed when they have an incident rather than a computer record being kept. Although it is the same camera for both systems.

Reply to
Bill

I wouldn't like to be on that. I know that, in theory, once you have been prosecuted for an offence you can't be tried (note tried...) for that

*same* offence. But in this case I think it would be a new offence of driving without working lights at a different time/date.

Think I'd have noted her registration number and reported it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just about all of them if one is hamfisted enough. My local garage reckons its one of the more significant causes of MoT failure.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The was the driver round here, a few years ago, who was prosecuted for:

  1. Not displaying obligatory front lights
  2. Not displaying obligatory rear lights
  3. not dilluminating his rear number plate.

The result was sufficient points for him to lose his licence. I think he must have annoyed the police who stopped him.

Reply to
charles

And I am surprised that the police had not issued a VDR form (or whatever they are now called).

Reply to
ARW

I wouldn't be surprised if, given the chip on her shoulder, she just ignored them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Right. Sounds like a good scam by them. Unless you live in an area of idiots.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Halfords change them for free.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Since cars have had electric lights at least!

I think there is still a clause in the Highway Code about not flashing your lights as an invitation to proceed, but it's so common it's silly to think people won't do it.

Also, if sounding my horn after 2200 has a fighting chance of averting an accident, I sound it.

Reply to
Graham.

Interestingly, the Police ANPR cameras log every single number plate & only flag up the ones without tax etc.

All the others are kept on a database. When looking for a local scrote to arrest for not turning up at court, they interrogate the database for his car reg & look for patterns of travel.

Once a pattern is established - they just wait in the right place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You mean optional fitting is included in the inflated price they charge.

Reply to
Graham.

It is quite easy to put a H7 bulb in incorrectly in many cars. the locating mechanism isn't very good.

Reply to
dennis

Its done to make sure the idiots that fit reflective coatings on plates and other such junk get caught.

Reply to
dennis

Took the kids to LegoLand (Windsor) this summer. One day, there was an ANPR inside the entrance logging everyone. I thought that was bloody off.

Not sure if that part of the road was Legoland property (even more off) or not.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed. How else are people around here (where most of the small roads are barely two cars wide) supposed to tell the other driver that they've stopped at a wider part so please get on with it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You really are unable to get over my views on lead swinging teachers aren't you? May I suggest that you find one of those therapists that you Londoners seem to need so many of?

Reply to
Steve Firth