And now I've seen it all ...

It's not a fetish it's politeness.

I flash a lot (with headlights as well), and I hardly ever have to replace bulbs.

Someone did that to me when I was coming up a hill which was single file at that point (leaving a car park, he was in a layby on the right). I could hardly see a thing. I don't know if he was on full beam or it was just the angle - he had no need for headlights while being parked. I stopped and engaged my full beam (still couldn't see to get past him safely) until he (eventually) realised what was going on and switched them off.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Most cars I've had will switch to sidelights or parking lights when you turn off the ignition (for the above reason or to save the battery I'm not sure), but it doesn't help those twatts who leave the engine running.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Your mention of my name has got Opera's attention.

I don't sit on the dashboard.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I think you mean

Lieutenant Scott

That would cause me not to shop at Aldi.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yes no tax is very dangerous indeed.... for the DVLA coffers.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Which you can presumably ignore like the motorway service station ones?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I think thats what I posted ...

Reply to
geoff

Yours wrapped.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

My current Skoda has the light selector knob on the dash, so did the selection of Focus's (Focii?) before that. The dip-switch has always been on a stalk even on my first car, a 1971 Vauxhall Viva, and that had a leaky push-button pump for the windscreen washer on the dash.

My recollection is drivers uses to flash as an invitation, thanks, or silent rebuke much as they do now, perhaps my recollection is wrong.

You would certainly get flashed if you had the audacity to turn on your lights in daylight irrespective of how hard it was pelting down with rain, Volvo had an advertising campaign that tried to educate drivers about this, and some Volvo owners had their lights modified so they could be switched off.

It was common for bus drivers to flash the interior lights as a thanks to the driver behind, that's something I haven't seen for years.

And before hazard warning lights bus drivers often had the good sense to lean something against the back of their broken down vehicle so you knew it was stranded.

Reply to
Graham.

The ubiquitous 5/21 watt tail/stoplight can often be forced into its holder arse about-face

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

One of the rows of restaurants around here ends at the Police Station just over the brow of the hill. The taxis often wait outside the Station headlights on, wrong side of road.

Outside the restaurants they often double park to wait, admittedly facing the right way, forcing traffic into the right filter lane coming the other way and just by the brow of the hill. With luck, it'll be a police car that has the head on smash.

Reply to
Bill

Wondering about the differences between countries - e.g. where you are supposed to flash before overtaking - is that why the stalk flash became universal? Rather than more typical UK usage.

And you missed out "as you recklessly approach and sit on the tail of the vehicle ahead leaving no more than a few inches in order that you can demonstrate your vehicle's ability to go one inch a week faster".

Reply to
polygonum

True. Only someone who'd never fitted one would make such a stupid remark

Reply to
harry

Got sent a ticket for overstaying at the Wetherby service area the other week. Was staying at the Days Inn for two nights (Buy One Get One Free) with free parking. The receptionist has to enter your registration into a terminal. The ticket I got was for the second night. I can only assume she only entered my reg for only 1 night. The parking co. quickly accepted a copy of my hotel bill and dropped their over stay parking charge.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would be a major put off for me as well. The car park next to Waitrose i= n Hexham is all Council Pay and Display, don't go there often but just ove= r the road is a big Tesco car park, 3 hrs free... Then there is the parkin= g arrangements for the "new" Sainsbury's in Penrith. There is open air Pay= and Display and a multi-storey. You obvioulsy have to cough up in advanc= e in the PnD but the multi-storey, I think is pay on exit with free parkin= g if you spend over =A3X in the Sainsbury's but how you get your free park= ing I don't know. I never pay for parking unless there is no option, most parking around here is free...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Car Tax is nothing compared to the fuel bill. But if some one hasn't got tax, the car probably hasn't had a MOT for years and they probably haven't got insurance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds like DWDCA to me.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Do you think you are doing something wrong?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Correct.