Boot light keeps blowing fuse

BMW 7 Series 3 years old. Has tw lights in the boot. One under the parcel shelf and one in the lid. No sign of water ingress. Very strange. Any bright ideas out there (excuse the pun)

Reply to
billyorange007

Check for broken insulation in the wiring, particularly where it comes into contact with a metal edge/corner.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Are you certain they are properly switched off when the boot is closed? Not flickering etc with movement? Some use a switch which works on the lid angle, rather than the sort operated by the doors for the interior lights. And that could be faulty.

Light fittings designed for only short term use may well allow the bulb to get too hot if left on for long periods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's blowing a fuse there's a short somewhere. No mystery about that. You just gotta find it. And that's no fun. I'd start by removing the lamps so there's zero load, then replacing the fuse with a resistor, and monitoring the voltage on its output. Disconnecting bits where accessible will show you when the short goes away.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It might even be one of lamps (bulbs)

Reply to
charles

If one of the lights in in the boot lid there must be a connection at the edge of the moving part of the boot to the main body of the car. Usually wires running in some black corrugated trunking. As the trunking, and the wires inside, are flexing every time the boot is opened or closed this would be my first place to look for damaged wiring. You may have two wires where the insulation has failed and are shorting together.

See the Youtube video related to a boot lid wiring breakage

alan_m

Before dismantling anything just turn on the boot lights and pull and waggle the flexi trunking to see if you can get the fuse to blow (as indicated by the lights going out)

Reply to
alan_m
3 years old? I'd be harassing the dealer. If it isn't covered by warranty it darned well ought to be!

Frayed or shorting connections are possible for sure, but shouldn't be happening on such a young car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 22/10/2019 :

A small 12v lamp would be even easier to use, instead of a resistor. Lit would suggest the fault is still there, unlit that there is no short.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1 Just the method I used to find an intermittent short which turned out to be in the feed to a seatbelt clip illumination bulb. Very much not essential.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

About 40 years ago my mother bought a Fiat 124 which was the first car I ever saw with a boot light. I was demonstrating this to my future father-in-law when we discovered it had no switch but was permanently on

Reply to
billyorange007

Thanks to all for all the suggestions. I'll have a root around on Saturday. I did get tail ended twice last year.One was just a new bumper the other was severe enough to set off the protection system. Seat belts tightened, head restraint snapped vertical (triggered by a small explosive charge apparently). That may have some bearing though all the damage was repaired last year

Reply to
billyorange007

Um, sounds like bollocks to me. So the battery was running flat every day?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tim+ formulated the question :

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Car batteries don't run flat every day just because there is a 5W load on them. If yours do then buy a working one.

Reply to
invalid

5W for 24 hours would be 120 watt hours; at 12v = 10 AH - quite a drain on a small battery,
Reply to
charles

True, I hadn?t done the sums. You still wouldn?t want one on all the time though. Wouldn?t take many days of non-use to flatten the battery.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes disconnect lights one at a time as close to bulb as possible ran till a fuse blows, if it does not with eater only on, then you have an over current situation or maybe a very low tolerance fuse. If either fixes it and you can pin it down by swapping, the junk the doff one and get another, if it still trips with no bulbs the short is in the wiring, probably where its bent or trapped somewhere by the boot lid. Its not rocket science. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Truth probably was just a sticky switch or one timed to go off after a set period, some switches were damped by some device to do that, Maybe they did it for a reason but it eludes me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What about the sort of capacity battery that would have been found on something like that in 1979 in the middle of the winter?

Say it was a 40Ah new, down to 30Ah because of it's age and now 15Ah because of the cold ... and it will only restart the engine when the battery is greater than 50% charged, then it can only take a (say) .5A parasitic load for 14 hours?

I still don't believe a boot light wouldn't have a switch of some sort though, possibly a gravity one or a micro switch up in the hinges somewhere?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m