Boot light keeps blowing fuse

I consider it 'normal' to have a vehicle that can tow and be at least a hatchback, if not an mini MPV / estate. I do that not because I need the space 'most days', but I need the space some times and am willing to pay the price of driving such a vehicle. [1]

I don't consider it a normal requirement to be able to sustain parking lights overnight because I would never be parking anywhere that required such. If I had to it would be because I had broken down and would hope to be recovered before the battery went flat.

Do I think you should be able? Possibly.

No, you just wouldn't put yourself in the position of needing them.

Oh dear. Just because you exist in a perfect world, don't assume everyone else does. I have had neighbours finding themselves with a battery unable to start their car on a very cold morning and after some heavy use the day before, asking to borrow a charger or for a jump start and then as soon as the weather get's warmer they don't have any further problems. Is that right, probably not, is that what many people do, of course.

Does all it should under what circumstances?

No such thing mate..

What, they fit a better battery in the UK because you might go on holiday to a cold place?

My point is (and as you say) a battery is a consumable and *will* lose it's capacity over time. You may well have a strict threshold where you will buy and fit a new / bigger battery, most people don't. I'm not saying what thy do is right, just that's how it is in the real world.

They only stop doing 'their job' when that job is outside the normal requirements.

Ok, your battery would give you say one overnight of parking lights, but what would you do if you had to be there two or three? Who determines what is considered acceptable? Does it state in the handbook, nor many hours you should be able to leave the parking lights on, and against a range of temperatures and battery ages?

'Cango', is that d-i-y play-on-words joke? ;-)

So, no answers then?

Cheers, T i m

[1] When I had a company car (support tech) I had an estate, we all did. When one of the sales boys asked to borrow my car as he was moving house and offered me his XR3i in return I said 'no thanks'.

I had no use for an XR3i and it didn't have a towbar ... or much internal space.

He tried to push the fact that it was a Company car and as he was an employee ... it was explained to him that he had made his choice and that our cars were not 'pool cars' and were part of our 'package', (that we paid tax on).

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

I had use of a 1.8 Twincam (?) one of those and because it was so light it was a bit hairy. ;-)

Yup, that was the sort of thing I was thinking of and I think I've dealt with something similar.

Someone had moved a load of garden waste and a stick had gone up inside the hinge and dislodged the switch.

As a kid I was always fascinated by anything like that (automatic / hidden controls) ... trying to find out how it worked ... and the more things you play with the more you learn and then find it's easier to learn / do parallel things.

Like as a kid I was always playing with batteries, lamps and buzzers and so had a basic understanding of electricity at an early age. Also you learned why you only had low wattage lamps in say a cycle dynamo, as you found when you upgraded the headlight to a more powerful lamp and then tried to pedal the bike! ;-)

It saddens me that most kids don't seem to be interested in anything tangible these days, many seeming to be more absorbed in 'social communication' over a hobby or interest.

We allowed / encourage / introduced our daughter to all sorts of practical stuff from an early age, from soldering from when she was about 6 to building her a dolls house together a few years on. Her Mum wasn't so confident when she would come in and have daughter announce 'look mummy, I'm cutting plywood for the stairs on my dolls house on daddy's bandsaw'. ;-)

Might be whey in later life she bought herself a chainsaw for carving. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I know a number of people who have been fined for parking in a 40mph zone without lights.

Reply to
charles

not legally though, unless its in designated parking bays.

Reply to
invalid

I'm with you on that one.

We live on a 30 mph backstreet and on our small row of houses, where

*everone* used to park the right way round. The next door neighbour parked the wrong way round the day he came to view the house (20+ years ago) and has parked the wrong way round ever since (I asked him why the other day (and that was his reason, because he did it on day one ... ?[1]). As the older people have moved out and younger people have moved in and from possibly areas where parking is much more difficult, many don't seem to care which way round they park, even though we now don't have streetlights after midnight (if being 'lit' has any impact legally)?

I just seems wrong for me to park the wrong way round, night or day and so I rarely do so (unless trying to align the back of my car to an gate / door for loading / unloading etc).

Cheers, T i m

[1] We hold a spare key for his house and car and I have moved his car on occasion when he was at work and workers needed access to the road where his car was parked etc (with his permission, I'm insured 3rd party on any other car etc). When I parked it I parked it the right way round but he didn't get the hint, only parking it back the wrong way when using it next. ;-(
Reply to
T i m

If only. ;-)

The TC had the larger BMC B series engine. Even heavier than the A series. So even more terminal understeer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

Quite.

Except for our Den of course as he is on standby for the local lighthouse. ;-)

The first daughter and b/f knew the battery we weak on the car they had at the time was when they sat with the ignition / radio on for some time and it wouldn't start afterwards. The car had been fine in everyday use up to that point.

A young friend used a 12V vacuum cleaner to clean out the new to him car, and the card wouldn't start afterwards (flat battery) but again, had been 'fine' before that.

The kitcar can be left for months without being started and will typically start first time, but that has a battery isolator so little chance of any parasitic loads.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Modern cars ain't going to use much current with the ignition on and engine not running. Unless you have heater and wipers etc running too. And a plain radio, not that much either. If the battery is in such after that it ain't going to start the car on a cold morning, so better replaced before it causes a real problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember it being a bit 'tail happy' (because the back end was disproportionately light)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Really? My current car has a current drain of about 5A for about ten minutes after switching it off and getting out the car and locking it. I haven't found why yet its not the cooling fan or anything moving in the engine bay.

It has a drain of about an amp after that. About 180mA is the always on dash cam.

Reply to
invalid

1 amp quiescent would suggest even with a large battery it ain't going to start after 2 or 3 days unused.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't worry much, it has a big battery, not the cr@p one it came with as that failed within a year.

The RAC came to the rescue, they arranged for a taxi both ways to the QE hospital as they couldn't get a patrol there in time for me to meet my appointment and then arranged to send the patrol later to fix it. Failed all the battery tests, it couldn't even unlock the car. They fitted a bigger one under warranty, the biggest one they had that would physically fit.

I had previously told the Ford dealer that I didn't think the battery was as it should be but they said there was nothing wrong with it, I don't trust them any more and I have told them so.

Reply to
invalid

From memory they may also have used the blower and wipers intermittently as they were waiting to collect someone from a station and it was raining.

A mate took his car in for a MOT and after a few days parked at home, it wouldn't start. He had a new alternator and then battery fitted before he rang me. I got him to check for a parastatic load using the festoon lamp from the interior light and it turned out to be the radio. It wasn't on the switched live and didn't work, but the mechanics had turned it on and not turned it off when they realised it didn't work.

Except in daughters case, and in Scotland, it had been working fine.

They did replace it after that though as the issue had highlighted that the battery was getting weak.

The point being, they hadn't realised it until that point.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The worst one I came across was the MGC. An MGB with a 6 cylinder B series engine (not sure it was called the C series). And a bump in the bonnet because of the second carb.

Understeer? Much.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Our Smart Car has that, as does the hybrid when running on petrol although it doesn?t use the 12V battery to start the engine (other that for the electronics, the capacity of the 12V battery is very small.)

I can?t say I care for it on the Smart Car but you can turn it off, which we normally do.

On the hybrid it is seamless and, due to the way the system works, you?ve always got some battery power to get you moving. Well, until it fails I suppose ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay
<snip>

Another interesting use of the word 'cr@p' to describe a possibly poor under specification of a perfectly good thing (a battery in this case).

Eg, the battery itself was probably very good (most factory ones are (or were)), often lasting a long time.

Although after going round a UK battery manufacturing plant, I'm surprised any (12V LA) batteries work at all!

I'd put the environment alongside a chroming plant.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That is incorrect.

Highway code Rule 248:

"You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space."

Covered by law in the Construction and Uses Regulations (regulation 101) and the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations (regulation 24).

That applies on roads of all speeds.

Some years ago, the residents of a road three over from ours were very annoyed to wake up to find that the police had ticketed every vehicle that was parked the wrong way around.

Highway code Rule 249:

"All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h)."

Covered by law in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations (regulation 24).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yup - a real boat anchor, the C series. Brother rather liked the Austin 3 litre with that engine - a good towing car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I never buy a new car - preferring to buy at about 3 years old and avoid the worst of the depreciation. But with a full service history. And that seems to show the original battery doesn't last as well as a decent quality replacement. Of course it might have been badly treated before I bought the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have thought the Austin 1800 would be rather more your stamp, Dave.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom