right of way at a mini roundabout

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right of way...so feck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else found this? ....
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Er, priority to the right ?
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:50:49 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

I would do just what you did, on the basis that 'he who hesitates is lost'. I take the view that no one wants to have their car dented, and they'll more than likely give way to me if I take the initiative.
--

Chris

On 22/04/2019 17:27, Chris Hogg wrote:

+1
If there had been a cyclist therey he would have just rode over the top of it giving a rude sign while sending a text. Brian
--
----- --

Priority to anyone *already* *on* the roundabout (which I agree is hard with a mini). So if someone has not yet reached the dotted line then I enter the roundabout.
The question to ask yourself is whether the person (to your right) at or near the roundabout would have to take evasive action (i.e. operate the brakes or steering) if you enter.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

That was my understanding. We both moved on at the same time and the other driver started making his displeasure known. There was no-one on the roundabout when I entered, officer.

In my case, he did when he reached me.
On 22/04/2019 15:58, Jethro_uk wrote:

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.
SteveW

So all three arrive at the roundabout and all stop because they see someone else to their right that they will have to give way to. No-one is on the roundabout. Two of the three both think "bugger this - I'm going" at the same time, with the result that the one on the right will hit the one to his left, and it will be the latter's fault. IN America, people are probably more used to remembering the order that they arrived, since it is the way that the same deadlock is broken with four-way stop junctions, but in the UK, few people can remember what order they arrived at a roundabout: I know I wouldn't have a clue and rely entirely on giving way to the car on the right.
I suppose the way out of it is for one of the drivers to wave on the one on his left, to say "I know I have priority over you, but I'll let you go to break the deadlock". And once the first person has gone, the one on his left (and your right) can go, and then you can go. The problem with that is motivation: who wants to give way, knowing that it will make hem the last car to go? But at least there is a positive signal - and anything is better than no signal, which leads to indecision. Of course there will always be some nutter who will give a clear wave-on or headlamp flash, and will then set off and hit the other person deliberately to claim whiplash compensation :-( The Highway Code desperately needs an "I will wait for you" signal. Not flashing of headlamps, if that is already intended to mean a visible version of the horn "Watch out! I'm here!", but *something* - flash a big green light between the headlamps - anything!
On Tuesday, 23 April 2019 09:08:18 UTC+1, NY wrote:

In practice the car that's airborne has right of way
NT

Which is a complete pigs ear. The French had this due to Priorite a droite. So everyone can enter the roundabout and anyone already on it has to give way to people entering.
Spotted the obvious flaw with this?
The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe comes to mind.
--
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford

To add to the fun, the rules in France can vary depending on which town you’re in. Bloody nightmare.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 23/04/2019 09:07, NY wrote:

No. Under such circumstances you would be expected to set off slowly in anticipation of having to stop again immediately.
Insurance companies would normally declare such incidents as 50/50 blame.
SteveW
On Monday, 22 April 2019 21:30:40 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

and so the first one to move then gets priority and everything unclogs smoothly.

Unless two people decide simultaneously (to within some tolerance) to set off at the same time: mini roundabouts are so small that in the time it takes to set off, recognise that someone else has also done so and is blocking your path, and braking to a halt, a collision has occurred.
I think that is the situation that the OP was referring to: everyone waits for someone else, then when no-one moves, more than one person thinks "sod this, if no-one's moving, I'll go first", and you have a collision.
This problem can happen in a communications network when two devices try to talk at the same time and "hear" each other. Fortunately there is a way of resolving this: "back off, wait a *random* time, and retry" - the crucial thing being the random element so both don't try to talk again at the same time.
On 27/04/2019 21:17, NY wrote:

Not at all. If everyone has come to a stop, when setting off, you'd all be going slowly and cautiously, just in case, so stopping is easy enough.

I've found it more of a problem at a crossroads with give-ways on each arm. At the worst it has been a case of stop-start-stop-start again - mildly irritating, but no real danger.
I did contact the council about this junction. It is a simple crossroads, with a no-entry on the North arm. Originally, there were give-ways on the East and West. Apparently there were problems with people coming from the South, not noticing the no-entry signs and going straight ahead to the North, so the council decided that a give-way on the North and South would cause them to slow and look more. The residents to the West didn't want to lose the East-West give-ways, as they thought it slowed traffic, so the council made it a 4-way give-way. I pointed out that a simple bollard with no-entry on it blocking the left side of the North arm would have been far more reliable and would have prevented the stop-start problems, but councils have their own weird ideas.

Which is basically what drivers do - but hopefully as pre-collision detection, rather than collision detection :)
SteveW

Never seen that with the cars starting off from stopped. Or close to a collision narrowly avoided either.

Like I said, never seen that happen.
Jethro_uk wrote:

We in Australia do not have to give way to the right, the rule here is give way to whoever is already in the round about.
On 25/04/2019 11:50, FMurtz wrote:

Which is the same in the UK. It *is* a form of priority to the right, as the traffic coming around the roundabout is approaching from your right, just not the same sort as some countries that drive on the right have!
SteveW
Steve Walker wrote:

It is just that the way it is promoted in the UK reinforces "give way to the right" when the reality is that people on the right approaching the roundabout have no such right. We still have such people here with road rage occurring often. The reality is,whether we agree or not, first in has the right of way and anyone on the right that has not entered has not.