right of way at a mini roundabout

It happened again today as it has happened countless times before three vehicles approach at the same time and all stop at the give way line at a three way mini roundabout....we all sit there wondering who has right of way...so f*ck it I blasted on around leaving them sitting....fed up with everybody stopping and wondering who should go....any body else found this? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Er, priority to the right ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I was going to say the same, but then.... All 3 drivers have someone to their right.

Reply to
ss

That is one of the failure modes of mini roundabouts: they are prone to deadlock when no-one can go because all three/four streams of traffic have equal priority when everyone has someone to their right. What is needed is a sign at one of the entrance roads to imply that this road has priority over the others when there is deadlock. Once one car has gone (assuming there isn't anyone behind that car) then one of the streams no longer has anyone to its right and can go, and once that car has gone, the one in the third direction can go, and so on.

Reply to
NY

I would do just what you did, on the basis that 'he who hesitates is lost'. I take the view that no one wants to have their car dented, and they'll more than likely give way to me if I take the initiative.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If there had been a cyclist therey he would have just rode over the top of it giving a rude sign while sending a text. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Richard

Cars to the right have right of way, but if they're stopped you can still go. However if they then set off & drive into you...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The one with the loudest hooter then , 5 short blasts.

GH

Reply to
Marland

That was my understanding. We both moved on at the same time and the other driver started making his displeasure known. There was no-one on the roundabout when I entered, officer.

In my case, he did when he reached me.

Reply to
Scott

Priority to anyone *already* *on* the roundabout (which I agree is hard with a mini). So if someone has not yet reached the dotted line then I enter the roundabout.

The question to ask yourself is whether the person (to your right) at or near the roundabout would have to take evasive action (i.e. operate the brakes or steering) if you enter.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Priority from the right only applies when vehicles are actually on the roundabout and, until someone enters, everyone has equal right to do so.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There is no priority from the right until there is a vehicle actually on the roundabout. Priority from the right refers only to giving way to a vehicle that is already coming around the roundabout - it has nothing to do with allowing vehicles waiting to enter to go first.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Dining philosophers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A Mexican stand-off.

Mostly it doesn't happen for very long because one of the drivers will break the deadlock, as you did. That's expected behaviour, it's similar to the situation when traffic lights aren't working and everyone has to look out for themselves..

Reply to
Rob Morley

So all three arrive at the roundabout and all stop because they see someone else to their right that they will have to give way to. No-one is on the roundabout. Two of the three both think "bugger this - I'm going" at the same time, with the result that the one on the right will hit the one to his left, and it will be the latter's fault. IN America, people are probably more used to remembering the order that they arrived, since it is the way that the same deadlock is broken with four-way stop junctions, but in the UK, few people can remember what order they arrived at a roundabout: I know I wouldn't have a clue and rely entirely on giving way to the car on the right.

I suppose the way out of it is for one of the drivers to wave on the one on his left, to say "I know I have priority over you, but I'll let you go to break the deadlock". And once the first person has gone, the one on his left (and your right) can go, and then you can go. The problem with that is motivation: who wants to give way, knowing that it will make hem the last car to go? But at least there is a positive signal - and anything is better than no signal, which leads to indecision. Of course there will always be some nutter who will give a clear wave-on or headlamp flash, and will then set off and hit the other person deliberately to claim whiplash compensation :-( The Highway Code desperately needs an "I will wait for you" signal. Not flashing of headlamps, if that is already intended to mean a visible version of the horn "Watch out! I'm here!", but *something* - flash a big green light between the headlamps - anything!

Reply to
NY

In practice the car that's airborne has right of way

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not being difficult but wanting to understand better, do you have authority for that - either RTA or Highway Code?

Not causing a collision would come under section 3.

Reply to
Scott

Not that I'm aware of. When I drove in that area (eg the big rotary as you enter the Cape Cod peninsular) the rules were identical to in Britain except a mirror image: priority to traffic (which is already on the roundabout) coming from the left. I remember arriving at that roundabout and all the Americans were looking bewildered because rotaries are so rare: they are much more used to four-way stop junctions (which are an utter abortion) or else major road/minor road cross roads. I applied normal roundabout rules, sailed round and left - no fuss. I stopped somewhere a little while afterwards and an American chap stopped behind me and was full of admiration as we waited "in line" to buy a can of Coke: he'd been behind me at the roundabout and saw what I did so he followed me. He was even more impressed when he heard my English accent and realise that I was driving on what for me was the "wrong" side of the road.

The priority to traffic that is waiting to join applies in some European countries - I think the Netherlands is one - and it is a disaster because their roundabouts are self-filling (at busy times they get clogged up with traffic) whereas ours are self-emptying in the same situation. Having said that, I didn't notice the coach entrering a roundabout when there was traffic coming from the left when we went on a coach trip around the countryside north of Amsterdam while on a cruise, so I wonder if the rule has changed.

Reply to
NY

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 21:33:08 +0100, Steve Walker

HM Govs' definition is 'as clear as an un-muddied lake' (clockwork orange) :-

Bertie Doe