right of way at a mini roundabout

No-one said brake hard. I said "you have to be aware of their proximity and approach speed and may well decide that asserting your right to continue is not sensible." The other driver should also be approaching at a speed that enables them to stop.

Except of course that the other driver continuing is doing exactly that to you, unless they are already over the line, in which case they have priority.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Actually, I agree that is the prudent approach. However, it does not resolve the conundrum at the start of the discussions: what happens if more than one vehicle is stationary at the same time? Who goes first?

Are there no unmarked junctions anywhere in the UK any longer? I would be surprised.

Stop signs on approaches at both sides of a crossroads. If I am turning left and the other driver (on the opposite side) is turning right, conventionally I think I would be expected to go first, being closer to my intended lane, but I suspect this is not supported by any rule.

Reply to
Scott

Or even for give way signs rather than stop: like you I'd expect left turn (me) to have priority over the oncoming car that is turning right to go the same way as me. If it's not enshrined in the HC, it ought to be.

What does the HC say about a car that is turning right at a give way/stop sign having to give way to an oncoming car that is going straight across? Everyone does it, but is it written in the HC anywhere?

Thinking of stop signs always reminds me of my grandpa telling me a story about how he failed his first driving test (probably not long after they were introduced). Even 50 years later, he was still a bit miffed. He was approaching a crossroads with no sign in his direction. He treated it as a give way, and the examiner failed him for not stopping *at a sign that wasn't there*, maintaining that it was possible to see the shape of the back of the stop sign for traffic coming towards him, and deduce that if *he* had a stop sign, there should have been one (which had fallen down) for my grandpa's direction. Grandpa was not best pleased, especially as the examiner said when he got back to the test centre that it was grandpa's only fault.

I wonder if there are any cross roads with a stop sign only for traffic approaching the major road from the minor road in one direction, and not in the opposite direction? Can you always infer that if the opposite traffic has a stop sign, you will/should do as well? Or was the examiner being unfair and too clever by half?

Reply to
NY

The car with the hardest looking blokes in it :->

Reply to
Tim Watts

With a Land Rover Defender I have never found it a problem.

Reply to
bert

Prince Phillip in his Land Rover thought the same till the Kia hit him.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I guess the guy behind the wheels of the most expensive car gives way to the rest; common sense?!

Reply to
gopalansampath
<snip>

I'm sure this must have been mentioned somewhere but all of the mini roundabouts I've checked round here have one entry with double broken lines (priority?) and all the rest have single?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Really? I can't say I've ever noticed that. I'll take your word for it if you say you've checked ones that are local to you. I'll have a look when I next encounter some mini-roundabouts.

If you were approaching a roundabout expecting to have priority over the car on your left, would you notice the fact that the car on your left has two dashed lines across his entry rather than your own one line? I wonder if a clearer signpost is needed if the normal "priority-from-the-right-at-roundabouts" rule is being changed to "this road always has priority".

Reply to
NY

I didn't remember seeing that here, so I took a quick look at one local one on streetview and there is no difference between the markings at each entry.

Maybe some authorities do it differently. However, as that has never been put into the Highway Code, drivers would not know to look out for it or what it means.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

According to the traffic signs manual Chapter 5 (I haven't checked if I have the latest issue)

"8.17 Where suitable deflection cannot be achieved, traffic entering the roundabout might, because of its approach speed, disregard the standard advisory Give Way line (diagram 1003.3). In such cases, the mandatory GIVE WAY sign to diagram 602 may be mounted on the same post and above the sign to diagram 611.1. The GIVE WAY sign should not be used where it could confuse drivers into giving way to traffic from the left as well as from the right, e.g.on the stem of a T-junction or on any arm of a four-way junction. When diagram 602 is used, it must be accompanied by diagram 1023 and by the Give Way marking to diagram 1003 (see figure 8-3)."

So, if I understand correctly, the roundabouts you have seen have one road where they have deemed it likely that drivers may not notice the roundabout with a single dotted line, so it gets the double line and a "Give Way" sign on the same post as the roundabout symbol.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We in Australia do not have to give way to the right, the rule here is give way to whoever is already in the round about.

Reply to
FMurtz

That is used in some cases but involves not just the double broken lines but also the usual "Give Way" sign. And is far from the norm in my experience. I've seen it used mainly at what was a T-junction to increase the flow of traffic turning right from the joining road.

Reply to
Robin

That's a better explanation than mine. Wish I'd seen it before posting.

Reply to
Robin

I have not seen this, but would the effect not be the opposite? Generally, a double line is more restrictive than a single one.

Reply to
Scott
<snip>

I'll have a look as I go past next. ;-)

It's similar to this:

I don't actually remember seeing any 'Give way' signs but then I've been walking / cycling / motorcycling / driving past that junction for over 55 years so I know it's there and what it is. ;-)

Ok.

That could be the case in one instance but the other (right next to it) was a new junction. There are others that were also as you say ('T' junctions) so that would also fit in.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, makes sense. I've never noticed it so either we don't have any like that around here (probably unlikely, although those we have are mainly on slowish roads, with good visibility anyway) or (more likely), I've just registered and obeyed the signage without really thinking about it and noticing that it is different ... it's just another junction with or without a give-way sign.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Which is the same in the UK. It *is* a form of priority to the right, as the traffic coming around the roundabout is approaching from your right, just not the same sort as some countries that drive on the right have!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have never seen one either. I can find a few on google where google has stitched in a double line, but its pretty obvious that it has.

Double line of course means give way to traffic in either direction.

While the single line, in theory, means give way from the left. With the number of idiots that drive across mini islands that may not be a good idea.

It is an offence to drive over a mini island as the spot in the middle is a solid white line.

Reply to
dennis

Thank you for that.

I checked the highway code, and it isn't clear. Nearby ones have a mixture (in one case, a double dotted line over half the exit... I suspect poor repaint after road repairs)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris