Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

It can be a good thing. Electric is the future though some things have to be overcome.
Right now, cost is one big detriment but that will lessen over time. Long distance is another. Normal commuting to work is no problem, long trips, not so much. Cobalt for batteries is a potential problem but that is getting getter with new technology.
I only drove one electric car so far and was impressed with the performance and air conditioning. Acceleration was fantastic.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
There's an electric motorcycle that's supposed to be pretty impressive -- for a 100 miles or so.
Reply to
rbowman
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2 @mid.individual.net:
How easily are these electric vehicles recycled? Vehicles are designed to wear out long before they should, so that they will need to be replaced. So in your cost calculations consider that electric car might not last as long as a car did 10-30 years ago and cost much more to get replacement parts.
Reply to
David LaRue
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
One of the big issues is the batteries. That is first to go and expensive. I've not kept up but I have read there has been some improvement in recycling them. The rest of the car is no different that ice models.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
They also say Europe and NA. Delivery in much of the cities in Europe is with very small vehicles and short distances. It may take longer to make them practical in Wyoming.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
I agree, this will be a city and near in suburban thing.
Reply to
gfretwell
Ed Pawlowski snipped-for-privacy@snet.xxx writes:
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
And as they're designed and built as delivery trucks, they'll be much more rugged and last much longer than the typical consumer-grade vehicle.
Also, unlike ICE, swapping out battery packs is much easier; likewise motors.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 22 Sep 2020 14:43:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
Mail delivery trucks last 20 or 30 years iirc.
They have to use horses there.
Reply to
micky
Oh yeah! When I first got my 100% electric Nissan Leaf, I was sitting at a red light in the left go-straight lane at Forest Park Parkway and Big Bend in STL and a young man was in a Honda in the right go-straight lane, a nice cool Autumn day, so I slid the passenger window down and asked him if he wanted to "go for it, and he nodded 'yes' and smiled, so I slid the passenger window up and put my foot over my Leaf's accelerator pedal and I could hear him revving his engine and thought to myself "He has no idea what to expect!"
When the light switched to green I floored it and by the time I got to the little jog to the right I was going 75MPH! He never did pass me either, all the way north to Delmar! :-)
I educated a young man that day about electric cars! :-)
John Kuthe...
Reply to
John Kuthe
Electric is the past. The most expensive electric car today is overall less useful and less convenient than the cheapest gasoline car. Amazon is pandering to the Left and their "climate change" bullshit. (Climate change is a natural phenomenon. You can no more "fight" it than fight the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. Electric cars and delivery trucks will certainly have no effect.)
Internal combustion: accept no substitutes.
Reply to
Roger Blake
in news:hstdkdF9fl7U2
They still use steel, aluminum, plastic, glass. rubber. Different portions, different locations. They still get separated and either trashed or recycled. Batteries have some different chemicals.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 01:16:08 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
Amazon is in it for the money. Subsidized electricity in a subsidized truck is a whole lot cheaper than ICE. I imagine they will be the ones with the best idea of range and I wouldn't be surprised if they have on board data recorders to monitor the driver's habits. You can go fast in an electric or you can go far, pick one.
Reply to
gfretwell
How about a 300 mile road trip?  About the 200 mile marker, you'll need to call Goober and his Uber.  (consider yourself educated)
Reply to
E.V. Hitchiker
I haven't taken a 300 mile road trip in decades, and I doubt I'll ever take another one.
Cindy Hamilton
Reply to
angelica...
That will remain a problem. I took a 1200 mile trip and first day did about 850 miles, had lunch with my friend the next day. With an electric it would have taken me at least an extra day and spent time looking for chargers.
For a daily commute and shopping, fine. Not for my only car though. Nor do I want to get a rental for a trip.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Site Timeline Threads