Ordering heavy tools from Amazon?

I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them? To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...)

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
MSCHAEF.COM

I have ordered 'light' tools (sanders, mortise jigs, etc) from them on a few occasions and received them promptly and at a good price.

However, I suspect ordering things like machinery (example - Grizzly) from them is counter-productive. I suspect they are just a clearing house that forwards the order to Springfield or one of the other Grizzly locations. The heavy tool prices appear to the the same as Griz, or standard retail on others. If you cannot get a deal on shipping cost, throught Amazon, why bother.

Reply to
RonB

More than likely all Amazon is doing is just taking the order and drop shipping from the manufacturers warehouse. Don't count on them much for technical support and customer service, for that you'll likely need to deal with the manufacturer.

Reply to
mp

I've ordered heavy tools jointer etc. I had no problem free shipping etc. However, I had it delivered to where I work. We have a freight dock so I got it faster. If you have it delivered to your home the freight company has to arrange for a truck with a lift gate and this might be extra $. Also the driver normally wont help except to get it to the ground. Good Luck Mike

Reply to
Dust Boy

I did have a problem with one tool a Jet. Amazon was very quick to put me in contact with the Jet person who was responsible. Jet however was slow to respond sent me the wrong part first and finally sealed the deal two weeks after first request. The reality is do your homework on the mfg., as well as the distributor.

remove ohno to reply. snipped-for-privacy@ohnoproaxis.com

Reply to
Dust Boy

The heavy tools that I've looked at on Amazon were in most cases offered with free shipping. Looking at some of the "reviews," it appears that some customers have had problems with the free shipping.

Reply to
GregP

I ordered my JET supersaw and other heavy stuff from Amazon and No problems. Delivery was with Fedex ground .

Reply to
dteckie

Hi, I've gotten a table saw (JET contractor's saw) and a planer (JET

12.5") from Amazon. The saw came truck freight, and the planer UPS. Both times it was an easy transaction and a good price. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Lewis
Reply to
Lewis

I ordered my Grizzly 1023S from them and had it within 3 days. (I picked up at trucking depot) Fence box was damaged but fence was fine. Saw came unmolested and spot on.

I ordered a Jet Dust collector through them and packaging was fine. However, there were paint chips that must have been due to manufacturing issues. UPS man wasn't happy about that delivery.

I ordered a Jet Mini lathe through them with bed extension. The mini lathe was fine but the bed extension box was badly mangled. This was delivered by FedEx. One end of the box was completely missing. I received this item yesterday and haven't had time to clean off the cosmolene and check it out. It seems okay. However, there appear to be minor paint chips again. Jet seems to use thick paint but lousy primer.

Anyway, none of the minor problems were Amazon's fault. You could probably go to a local woodworking store and buy an item. You would be able to eye it up, at least in the box. You might be able to unpackage it and inspect it too. I don't know. However, you will probably pay more and pay tax. You might even have to pay a special order fee.

On a side note, Amazon usually goes above and beyond in packaging smaller items.

Good luck. Go the method with which you are most comfortable. Half of pride in possessions is the perception of having received a good and fair deal. Ability to gloat with others also plays a part.

Eric

Reply to
mnterpfan

GregP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If it comes from Grizzly, you'll still pay Griz's shipping price on top of the item's price -- I don't know, though, if Amazon then uses their own shipper, or Griz's. I suspect Griz's, but that's only a guess. (I think they just drop ship from Griz).

The heaviest I've ordered from Amazon was a P-C pancake compressor, got a good price, and free shipping. Was delivered with FedEx ground very promptly.

I was looking into this pretty recently, as I was in the bandsaw market, and thought I might be able to get a better price through Amazon. Ended up with a JET 14" deluxe, bought at the local Woodcraft. Same price as Amazon, and zero hassle with shipping -- took it home that day in the back of my truck.

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

I've ordered several big machines from Amazon.com. So far (knock on wood)... no problems. Everyone I've spoken with that have had problems have said that Amazons customer service is #1. I recently spoke with a gentleman that purchased a DJ-20 jointer(through amazon) and had nothing but problems. He said that none of the local reps would help him at all, because he purchased it from amazon. But after speaking with amazon they picked up jointer and replaced it. My instructor said that with jointers like Delta about half of them are good and half of them have a defect of some kind no matter were you get them. I'm not sure if that is true with other tools. Not very positive. So he suggests getting a machine from a local company and be sure it is a solid, straight machine

Reply to
sr_wood

It works very well. I ordered my "hybird" table saw from them. No tax, free shipping. FedEx heavy showed up when promised and rolled it right into my garage.

Amazon (Tool Crib) is now the first place I look when shopping for *any* tool.

Reply to
patrick conroy

There are companies such as Grizz and "tool crib" that use Amazon to sell through, you know it when they charge extra for shipping. If it's free shipping then it is Amazon selling it.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@io.com:

I've ordered several large as well as many smaller items. The larger items include a contractors saw and a 6 inch jointer. No problems with either. The only problem I had at all was that the mobile base for the saw was damaged, apparently not by the shipper. Amazon shipped me a replacement, before the original was returned along with a UPS (it was only the base going back) call tag. All in all I was very pleased each time. Quick, free shipping, no sales tax and a good selection of some items that would require a 50 mile or more drive for me.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

I ordered a tablesaw from them. The saw was delivered in about 3 weeks. They gave me a date range of when they thought the saw would arrive. Only hitch was that the truck driver called 30 minutes before delivery to tell me he was on his way to my house ... I was at work at the time and had to rush to beat him there. The truck had a lift gate on the back and the driver lowered the saw to the ground and used his pallet jack to wheel it into the garage. He took the time to help unbox and check for internal damage and even offered to help get it off the pallet. The only thing that I could find to complain about was one of the cast wings had one corner of the surface that didn't seem to be ground as uniformly as the rest. I called Amazon, expecting them to offer to ship a replacement wing. They instead offered a 20% discount ... I nearly fell over but tried not to show my excitement to much. I told them I could live with the small imperfection in return for the adjustment ...

If you decide to purchase from Amazon, I hope your experience is as good or better than mine was on this purchase. On the other hand, I purchased a router via one of their 3rd party sellers and never received the product and had to get a refund on that purchase due to the fraudulent seller. They were helpful and understanding, but the process took about 2 1/2 months to play out.

BTW: The saw weighed 650 pounds. 20% credit came out to $439.

Reply to
Gary Cude

Amazon OWNS Tool Crib.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I ordered a DeWalt planner from them a couple years ago and the shipping was free, and as a bonus no sales tax.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Miner

I bought my Jet table saw and now just a couple of weeks ago a Delta Jointer from Amazon and it was great. The shipping company was excellent in both cases. They call you after your order to set up a time for shipment, and in fact they were even willing to leave it on my driveway if I would pin a release to my door. I was able to get the day off and be home for it anyway. The shipping company was within their 3 hour window both times.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I ordered a Delta 37-195 jointer from them back at Fathers day. Amazon had it marked down to $479.00, then they offered $50.00 off any purchase over $250.00, I then had a $20.00 gift certificate, and then qualified for free shipping. Grand total $409.00 delivered to my door. I could not touch it for this anywhere else. It did take 2 weeks to arrive as it was shipped truck freight, and it came directly from Delta. I have ordered other things from the tool crib, and have always been very satisfied.

Russ

Reply to
Russ

snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@io.com:

If a 'remote' vendor causes you grief, then consider a 'local' one. I have purchased my 'big iron' (1) from local folks(2), so that they could deal with the shipping issues, the quality issues, the repair issues and my 'tire-kicking' phase. I felt the price differences were worth it.(3) You may feel differently.

You may also not have access to the variety of dealers within easy driving distance that I do.

Are you considering anyone else besides Amazon?

Patriarch

(1) Delta, Jet and Performax items (2) two local dealers (3) factory sponsored sales, generally 10% off

Reply to
patriarch