old TS motor, ideas

I have an old Beaver/Rockwell TS motor (1HP) that is just lying around. I do not know the RPM it turns at. Any of you folks know of a good use for such a motor? I remember my dad buying a metal circular disc and making a sander; your ideas would be a appreciated.

Brandt

Reply to
brandt

I remember my dad buying a metal

I think you just hit on a great idea yourself. I picked up a copy of Peter Lloyd's 'Making Heirloom Boxes' at the library a couple of days ago. In the front end he describes tools needed for his trade and describes a disk sander he made from an old pump motor. This immediately got me thinking about a 2HP blower motor that has been sitting on the shelf in my garage for several years. It is a 3,400 RPM, single-shaft motor and it runs as quiet as a mouse. It runs opposite of most power tool motors and is not reversible, but who really cares with a sander?

All I have to do is figure out how to mount an arbor or other disk attachment device to the shaft instead of a pulley. Most sanding disks are driven directly. Some also have a pulley that runs a dust collection blower or impeller in the cabinet. If you have a double-shafter you could probably run a drum from the other end.

Any body out there have hardware adaptation ideas or experience?

Reply to
RonB

How about a high-torque electric toothbrush? Just the thing for that troublesome plaque buildup.

Or perhaps, as someone else on the newsgroup mentioned in the last couple of days, a high-speed rotisserie for the barbie? Turbo garage door opener? Replacement blender motor that will crush ice, rocks, and small rodents?

Reply to
mp

You overlooked nose-hair removal (OUCH)

Reply to
RonB

Hi Brandt There are plans here to build one:

Frank Campbell

You'll no doubt do well if you sell it on eBay, considering a recent post here on the quality of those old motors, "Oder unisaw motor potential problemo" And from what I have seen on eBay. They go for a lot!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (brandt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I'd think a useable functional motor of that vintage would be of interest to the rust collectors at OWWM. Who knows what sorts of trades/friends you might make?

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I'd say your blower motor is worth more as a blower motor. They seem to go for a lot more than other motors. Assuming, blower is still attached.

ET

Reply to
Rob Dingnagian

Nope, if the blower was included it would have been put into use. This motor has been sitting in garages for about 10 years. A fomer neighbor gave it to me years ago after he swapped electic for a gas furnace. He knew the electric furnace motor had been replaced a couple of years previous and gave it to me. It is 12-14 years old but has about 2 years of use.

I used a furnace blower, on a plywood platform, as a fan to cool my garage shop. It kept you cool but would darned near blow your hair off.

Reply to
RonB

Ron.. My home made disk sander is belt driven... not the best way to do it, but at least it gives you power/speed choices.. Mine runs off the motor on my rusty, dusty sears benchtop saw with "permanent" dado blade in it..

Reply to
mac davis

Check out the disk sander here:

mac davis

preparation H applicator for spammers??

Reply to
mac davis

I do the same thing. I have one with a belt driven cage that has rubber feet on the blower case. Its pretty cool. (Literally) I have another in a shop made ambient air cleaner and several others stored up in the rafters. I have never seen one that came from a home furnace with 2hp. That would rock. Most of them are fractional and usually less than 1/2hp.

It sounds like it would be great for a grinder or sander. Some kind of 'er.

Put er to work.

Eric

Reply to
Rob Dingnagian