Re: Ordering heavy tools from Amazon?

I'm considering ordering a table saw from Amazon. Is there any

> conventional wisdom about ordering such a heavy item from them? > To be honest, I'm concerned about buying a saw from a company > I primarily think of as a book vendor. (But if it works...) > > Thanks, > Mike >

I ordered my JET supersaw and other heavy stuff from Amazon and No problems. Delivery was with Fedex ground .

Reply to
dteckie

It's not super-heavy, but I got my air compressor (around 50 lbs) from Amazon, and i arrived without any problems via UPS.

Free shipping on these kinds of things is often what makes a great deal an entry level gloat, in my opinion.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

I got my unisaw from them. 4 packages, with the largest delivered by a truck with a lift gate. No problems.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

I got a hybrid TS from them this year. It came quickly on a truck with a lift. There were signs of minor damage to the plywood crate and the driver was not willing to back the truck up my 250' driveway to my garage. With some coaxing he helped me put it on a pallet dolly and I got it into the garage. He made it clear that the free delivery did not include unloading or moving the item. So wherever you order, either arrange for some help or specify how you want it delivered. Overall I have been satisfied with Amazon customer service after several tool orders.

-Steve W

Reply to
Steve W

I got a contractor's saw from them a few years ago. Painless. I arrived home one day and there it was sitting on my driveway by the garage door. That was around 5 years ago so perhaps they're getting to be more difficult in terms of "unloading". Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I had a couple bad experiences... both with Delta DJ-20 jointer deliveries. The first one had been dropped. There were broken cast iron pieces and the infeed table drooped .030". A forklift had also been run through the side of the crate but no visible damage to the jointer itself existed at the time of delivery. All the real damage was hidden and not detected until set up time.

The second DJ-20's crate was in even worse shape with the top basically missing due to all the broken wood. This time the fork lift punctured the crate and nailed the fence. This machine too appeared to have been dropped. The stand was also dented. Refused that shipment right up front.

Ended up getting a DJ-20 from Woodworker's Warehouse... they matched Amazon's price and gave me another 10% for opening a charge account. Great machine... even if it took ordering three of them to get one intact!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Reply to
liberty___valance

My experience has been anything but painless.

I first bought a table saw from them. It was delivered FedEx. That really was painless. A small van pulled up and the driver offered to put the saw anywhere I wanted.

Next I bought a jointer. For that, the freight company called me beforehand at said it would cost an extra $75 to get a liftgate delivery. That was Amazon's "free" delivery. They then pulled up in a huge semi trailer truck that was unable to navigate down the narrow residential street. I swear he snapped every tree branch that over hung the street when he hit them with his truck. And this was after I had told them to bring a small truck.

I didnt learn my lesson yet, but since there are no local stores where I live, I had no choice. I then ordered a bandsaw and panel sander. Now to be fair, these problems are probably due more to the crappy packaging from the manufacturers, but both were utterly destroyed on delivery. The bandsaw box looked like an elephant had sat on it, and while there was no damage to the sander box, it was damaged too. It took three re-deliveries to finally get a working sander and that was after I pulled pieces from the previous 2 sanders to repair the damaged 3rd sander.

Trying to deal with Amazon to fix these was an exercise in futility. Amazon said talk to the vendor, the vendor said to talk to Amazon. I got into a threeway phone call with the manufacturer rep and the Amazon rep and listened while the manufacturer rep ripped the Amazon rep a new one. That was almost fun.

Eventually, Amazon stepped up to the plate and straightened things out but it took several months.

I learned my lesson and will never buy anything heavy from them again.

If you're going to do it, I'd say don't go with the free shipping. Pay for the shipping and I suspect it'll come via a more reputable delivery company like FedEx. Surprisingly, the shipping on my Unisaw was only $11. I havent figured that one out yet. It was several years ago, and with the increase in gas prices, I'm sure delivery has gone up too. But still, it was so extremely low it was worth it. Dont automatically check the free shipping box. At least check out the regular shipping costs.

dickm

Reply to
dicko