Amazon delivery of heavy tools

How do they deliver items like contractor saw or jointers? Throw it off the back of the truck? Will they leave it in your vestibule if you ask?

They have an "X5" jointer on sale with rebates, but I might go for the cheaper one.

Reply to
Joe Stead

I think they deliver up to 75 lbs to you by normal shipping. At some point they must use FOB or a Trucking company. I suggest you go to Amazon and go to the shipping section. You can post a question and usually get an answer in less than 24 hours. I always found them very helpful.

Reply to
Jeff S

A C-130 and a parachute.

Actually, they send it by truck, and that means a wide variation in service. Plenty of folks report happy truckers who will gladly help unload the tool.

Here in the union-heavy Northeast, it can go from a shining star nice guy, to a miserable moron who feels he's doing you a favor if he actually slows the rig down while he drives by and writes "no access" on the bill of lading. Flip a coin to see who you get today!

Most all companies will allow you to pick the item up at a local dock.

*Local* could mean your hometown, or three hours of one way driving away. Some carriers will offer a lift gate truck, sometimes at extra charge. Others will simply show up with a tractor trailer, and if the truck can't get in to your residential street, or you can't get it off the trailer, the shipment goes to the local depot. (See *Local*, above).

I'm lucky to live local to Tools Plus and Coastal Tool, both of which routinely beat Amazon's prices. Both small guys have fork lifts and nice folks who help me load the tool into my trailer. Do you have ANY local dealers who are negotiable? If I mail order, I have the item sent to my friend's local business who has a forklift, as I have not had good luck with local trucking companies.

Heck, FedEx Ground has destroyed small Lee Valley shipments coming to me. I'd love to see what they can do with cast iron!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Amazon doesn't deliver, a freight outfit delivers. You _might_ be able to specify by contacting Amazon, but if my experience means anything, it's "space available" over all.

The company policies are on paper, but it's the driver who counts, and your being there makes it more difficult for him/her to invoke company policy. There's usually a dolly or pallet jack on board to get your item to the rear, though having your own dolly available is advisable. That, a forewarned neighbor or two, or ten bucks east/five bucks mid/twenty far west will get the thing where it needs to be.

If you can't be at home, take a couple friends, one of whom is called dolly, to the depot and load it yourself. The company is close at the depot, so don't anticipate more than the minimum from the dock rats.

Reply to
George

Last week UPS delivered to my house a 150lbs drum sander for $71,

4 days ground from CA. A similar drum sander from PA. with skid packing on overnight common carrier $100.

Reply to
WD

Only speaking from experience about 2 1/2 years ago - they shipped my Table Saw via FedEx Heavy. Guy wheeled it right into my garage.

Reply to
patrick conroy

They delivered my Griz jointer to my house in the boondocks. Had a tractor-trailer of some size with a lift gate. The guy put it on the ground and trucked it into my garage with a hand truck. No easy trip on a 3/4 stone driveway even if it was only 25 feet or so. He told me not to pay the extra for the lift gate because residential deliveries in my neck of the woods always had a lift anyway. Satisfied customer. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn